My First Beer! Gluten Free Chocolate Vanilla Ale

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_rayway

Always busy
Reaction score
So I started this today and probably made sooo many mistakes. But it was so exciting! Plus, it involved standing and sitting - which are the two activities I am currently able to do :ft

Recipe for 1 Gallon Batch

- 3.2oz Roasted GF Oats
- 1Lb 6.6oz Sorghum Extract
- 35mL Molasses
- .2oz Northern Brewer Hops
- 2 Pieces Star Anise
- 2 Split & scraped Vanilla Beans
- 5 Roasted Walnut halves, broken up
- .8oz Coco Powder
- 2oz White Sugar
- 1.5fl oz Dark Candi Sugar Syrup
- 3mL Coffee Grounds
- .2oz Hallertau Hops
- 1/2 packet Nottingham GF Ale Yeast

1) I brought a 1/2 gallon on water to 150-180F and tossed in the oats for 30 mins. Kept the temps within that range.
2) Since the author of the recipe I based this off of didn't mention sparging, I added the sorghum and molasses and brought to a boil. Started timer.
3) Add Norther Brewer at 45min
4) Anise and vanilla beans at 30Min
5) Walnuts and coco at 15Min
6) Sugar, Candi, Coffee & Hallartau hops at 5 mins
7) Sparged with warmed water a couple of times. The stuff was thick like I was making Haystack Cookies!!
8) Cool wort
9) Rehydrate yeast
10) Throw everything into a one gallon jug, shake like crazy, then pop 2 cups of the mixture into a mason jar beside to give some head room.

OG 1.048

So I'm not sure if I totally screwed up by not sparging just the oats after soaking. I wonder if he just assumed a person would know to do that?

I lost 2/3 of my volume while I was doing the 60 min boil. I had to take it off the burner a minute or two early because I wasn't sure it would make it!

While I do not have high hopes for this beer, there are a couple of things I will be looking for:
a) that it's well-carbonated - I HATE flat beer
b) that it kind of tastes like chocolate
c) that maybe it will be a bit sweet

Don't know if I'm wishing into the wind, but I feel this is a great start to some experimenting!

:b
Raelene

WP_001036.jpg

WP_001037.jpg

WP_001038.jpg

WP_001039.jpg

WP_001040.jpg

WP_001041.jpg

Thanks for sharing this is awesome!!!
So far the only beer I've done are the 'Brewhouse' kits
BTW... Nottingham yeast has worked great for me... use it in all my beers and ciders now!

Thanks Aaron! Are you GF as well? I have the Brooklyn Brewhouse book at home that I'll totally be hitting up for some more recipe ideas if this works.

Tom - I'm totally going to be bugging you about this. Especially when it come time to carbonate them! I don't want to have carbonation failures like my husband did with his kit ones - I'm too excited about this! Lol

Thanks Aaron! Are you GF as well? I have the Brooklyn Brewhouse book at home that I'll totally be hitting up for some more recipe ideas if this works.

Tom - I'm totally going to be bugging you about this. Especially when it come time to carbonate them! I don't want to have carbonation failures like my husband did with his kit ones - I'm too excited about this! Lol

GF = grain fermenter? ... Great farmer?:)

I've only done pre-made wort kits... not set up for all grain brewing yet:se
As far as these kit types go, they are supposedly some of the best, 15L bag of wort shipped with minimum water adding. (Much like a high end wine kit)
http://www.rjscraftwinemaking.com/Products/Beer/Beer-Category-1

Supposedly you can tweek them and they will win awards.
for 30$ a kit and ease of use, they make some pretty good beer, micro brew quality.
I always substitute nottingham in the primary and throw the generic yeast into the brewing bucket when adding primer sugar and there isn't any carb failures.

Next Pilsner I do, I want to find a good pils yeast to try.

I'm sure making your own wort will give you even better beer but I'm not at that level yet.

Raelene,
I'd be more than happy to help you anyway that I can!
We (the beer makers of WMT) should have a winter beer swap, it is very interesting to see/taste other brews!
I have a killer Oktoberfest lagering as we speak, plus I have the following brews that are ready:

Hoptimum IPA clone
Centennial IPA clone
Harpoon IPA clone
All Amarillo Blonde APA
All Cascade Blonde APA
Golden APA
Kentucky bourbon barrel ale

HaHa finally got that GF=Gluten Free... Sorry Raelene!
In answer to your question... I'm not GF
I guess it's pretty hard to find a GF kit out there.

Here is a stout kit I picked up today
It ain't no Gluten Free Chocolate Vanilla Ale but it going to have to do!

Keep us updated on how your brew turns out!

Tom these brews sound amazing
Raelene,
I'd be more than happy to help you anyway that I can!
We (the beer makers of WMT) should have a winter beer swap, it is very interesting to see/taste other brews!
I have a killer Oktoberfest lagering as we speak, plus I have the following brews that are ready:

Hoptimum IPA clone
Centennial IPA clone
Harpoon IPA clone
All Amarillo Blonde APA
All Cascade Blonde APA
Golden APA
Kentucky bourbon barrel ale

beer.jpg

Last edited:
Aaron: Lol! Too funny. My husband did a Brewhouse kit - a Cream Ale, and a Canadian-style one from Baron's. Neither carbonated, so he is very disillusioned. He would like to try again - maybe I'll tell him about your yeast re-pitch, and the extra yeast add during priming. Thanks for the tip!

Tom: I would love to do a beer swap! Unfortunately, I wouldn't actually be able to drink them. Bryan would have to drink all the stuff I got from others - unless you brew gluten free? The Kentucky Barrel Bourbon sounds sooo good! *groan* why did I have to become a Celiac!?!

I'm looking to do something to use up the last half packet of yeast left from today. I've tossed a potential recipe together that I 'pulled out of the kitchen sink' (or, ahem, where ever). Might do up that batch tomorrow. Thinking it should be like a light pilsner-type deal.

This batch is blipping along nicely with the airlock on top. Woot!

Ah crap, I'm a dumbass, duh! of course you wouldn't be able to drink them, you are brewing a gluten free beer, please forgive me! Maybe we should do a wine swap...lol...I feel really assinine...lol
Aaron, when I fine a beer that I really like, I try to find a clone recipe, these are really good beer! When you are done brewing, I'd still be interested in a swap.

Ah crap, I'm a dumbass, duh! of course you wouldn't be able to drink them, you are brewing a gluten free beer, please forgive me! Maybe we should do a wine swap...lol...I feel really assinine...lol
Aaron, when I fine a beer that I really like, I try to find a clone recipe, these are really good beer! When you are done brewing, I'd still be interested in a swap.

I too would love nothing more than to get together for a beer swap but I'm located on an Island in Canada on the Pacific Ocean. May be a bit of a drive!

You two are hilarious!

Aaron - which island? Maybe I've been there :)

Tom - I'm totally in for a wine swap sometime...just as soon as I've made something that I wouldn't be embarrassed to send! Perhaps some of the fresh juice bucket stuff you've been so kind to help me with :b

You two are hilarious!

Aaron - which island? Maybe I've been there :)

Tom - I'm totally in for a wine swap sometime...just as soon as I've made something that I wouldn't be embarrassed to send! Perhaps some of the fresh juice bucket stuff you've been so kind to help me with :b

The big Island Raelene... Vancouver Island... about 1.5 hr ferry ride from Vancouver B.C.

Ah! I have been there, but not for quite a few years. I wasn't sure which coast you were on. I still remember the Butchart Gardens - they were so incredible! Great restaurants too on the island :)

Once the kids are a bit older, we're hoping to to the coast to coast drive like I did with my family when I was a kid. SO much fun! Plus, watching my Dad drive the Coquihalla with my Nana screeching in the back was hilarious!

Ah! I have been there, but not for quite a few years. I wasn't sure which coast you were on. I still remember the Butchart Gardens - they were so incredible! Great restaurants too on the island :)

Once the kids are a bit older, we're hoping to to the coast to coast drive like I did with my family when I was a kid. SO much fun! Plus, watching my Dad drive the Coquihalla with my Nana screeching in the back was hilarious!

Ha Ha... great memories for sure.
I live about an hour from Butchart. We love going to Victoria a few times a year.

Bottled this today! After making more than my share of mistakes, and with support from Tom, I got it done...with suggestions on how to do it better next time.

Whew. After this, the next batch should be easy (and hopefully less panic-inducing).

Final S.G. was 1.010 after adding dextrose. It's happily carbonating in my dressing room :b Got 7x500mL bottles, plus another half that I tossed into the fridge to taste test in a few days.

Next up - Sweet Potato-Quinoa Ale anyone? Or perhaps an Orange Honey Ale? Hmmm, need to find more GF grains.

WP_001055.jpg

Good job, I also started my first beer, mead and cider last weekend. Question: What makes a beer to be gluten free? I mean, what type of ingredients or technique did you use?

Good job, I also started my first beer, mead and cider last weekend. Question: What makes a beer to be gluten free? I mean, what type of ingredients or technique did you use?

Hi Fabiola,
Gluten is a protein found in wheat, rye, barley & (most) oats. I am severely allergic to these things, so I need to find alternate grains and ingredients to get the same/similar results. Everything used must be gluten free for the beer to be gluten free.

As you can see from my recipe, I used GF Oats (specially grown, harvested, and processed) and sorghum syrup for this beer. The next ones I'm looking at will be "all grain" using things like quinoa, rice, oats, sweet potato, carrots, etc.

From what I understand (which is very little, as a beer newbie) there are different methods of making beer depending on whether you use extracts or whole grains. I'm learning as much as I can as I go along, with much help from experienced brewers on this site, as well as another I go to.

Back