WineXpert My First Batch

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djcoop

Reaction score
I did it. I started my first batch!! Here are a few things I ran into as a newbie. Maybe some of you could chime in with idea/suggestions.

1) Sterilizing the equipment. My kit purchased here was wonderful. By far the most inclusive kit that I found (and I looked at a bunch). The kit came w/ two chemicals, easy clean and pot. metabisulfite. George cleared up for me, clean 1st w/ easy clean, then sanitize w/ the pot. metabisulfite. There were no instructions on the bottle for the metabisulfite. So, I went to the LD Carlson website. Stated to mix 2oz (the entire bottle) to 1 Gal. h20. So, that's what I did, hope it was right. Also, when I use these metabisulfite to put in my airlock as a bactericide, should I dilute or leave it at this strength?

2) The fermenter and spigot. Tested the spigot prior to filling, thought it looked good. Put my juice in and it started leaking. After I had a panic attack, turned the fermenter on it's side in the sink and tinkered with it until I got it to stop leaking. I really tried not to touch the juice any, but did a tad! Hope this will be ok.

3) When the instructions told me to check the temp., I realized I didn't have a themometer. I'm just going to hope for the best and pick one up from George this week or the next when I run out there. If I run into the yeast not ferm. due the the temp not being accurate is there anything I should do? It's not like I can pop it into the microwave
smiley36.gif
. Although I could sit it by the fireplace
smiley2.gif

It was great fun, good instructions (despite my couple of questions, that I could have very well missed the answers in my packet somewhere), and I have a great sense of accomplishment.

One question I have for some of you regulars. Since I am making a chianti. Should I let it ferment in the carboy for a while longer or should I just go ahead and bottle after the desired SG is reached in the secondary ferm?

I'm ready to start another batch!

Welcome to the forum and the awesome, addictive hobby of winemaking!

Sounds like you are well on your way with your first batch. If your fermenter in located in an area that is at > 65 degrees you are fine and 70-72 would be even better. Once the fermentation gets going the temp of your must will increase slightly since it is exothermic and creates heat.

Don't worry if you touched the juice when fixing your spigot as it has a good level of sulfite for protection.

The amount of k-meta you need in the water for airlocks is very small and 1/2 tsp per gal is more than sufficient.

Extendedtime in the carboy after your wine is stabilized, fined and clear will not do anything for the wine that won't happen in the bottle.

Biggest mistake made by newbies is rushing the wine into the bottle (which is quite normal for everyone). Follow the directions carefully and you will be very happy with the finished product.

You should be OK on all of this. The temperature is not going to be an
issue unless it was really cold or hot. I have had juice running over my
hands into the primary without any ill effects. If you have just sanitized
the primary, chances are you sanitized your hands at the same time.

Look around the forum. You'll find tips on starting stuck fermentation,
and a whole host of other things.

AS far leaving it in the carboy. rule number one for newbies is "Follow the
instructions". If it says leave for 5-7 days, then do it. The wine should
still be fermenting when it goes ito the carboy, and probably for another
seven to ten days after that. Then you have to stabilize and fine, which is
another ten days or more. Then you bottle.

If this is the VR Chianti then you should end up with a very good wine.

One thing though. When you fine and stabilize the instructions might
say, top up with water or a similar wine. My experience is that you should
not use water to top up. Topping up with a store bought Chianti will give
you a better end product.

I always bottle the dregs at the end of the carboy and then use that to top
up my next batch.

welcome to the forum. There is a lot of accumulated wisom in these here
pages.Edited by: peterCooper

Starting your next batch. I've heard the Mezza Luna white is good.know
from experience that the VR Pinot Grigio is good. If you like the australian
whites the WineExpert Selection International Murray River Reserve is
absolutley fabulous.

Thanks for all of the information. I am so excited, but know that I must be patient. In the upcoming days I will focus on my reading, instead of the tub sitting in my kitchen! For my next batch (that I am going to run down and p/u from George this week), I am going to do one of the Island fruity wines. Only because I am dying to bottle something and be able to drink it asap. I am really going to try to wait on my VR Chianti for 3-6 months prior to popping one open. Now when I do this, I am going to need to add the 1/4tspof metabisulphite to 1/2 h20?

Also, do most people use sodium or potassium metabisulfite? Is the only difference that pot. is strong? My kit cam w/ potassium.

"Now when I do this, I am going to need to add the 1/4tspof metabisulphite to 1/2 h20? "</span>

Welcome djcoop.... not sure what you are asking. For
sanitizing I use the 2 oz of pot meta to 1 gal water.
You can continue to use this same solution over and over. I
rinse all my wine making tools in the bucket then pour back into the 1
gallon jug. I also use the same solution for my
airlock.

As far as long term aging, you will want to add 1/4 teaspoon of pot
meta to your carboy prior to bottling or storage. This will help
protect your wine. Aging your wine in the carboy keeps you from
sneaking bottles before they are ready. If you plan to drink your
wine fairly soon (within 6 months or onto a year) you can skip the pot
meta. The directions will tell you this..in the bottling section.

I have made plenty of the island mist kits. They go over very
well with friends during the summer months and my wife likes the
sweeter wines. I made my first one as per the
instructions...then I learned on this forum as how to add more sugar to
increase the alc%.

Have fun with it. Patience is the one thing I work on every day.
smiley1.gif

Cheers,

Doug

Edited by: txclifton

Thanks Steve and Doug for your input. It sounds like everyone does things a little different. I guess it is trial and error, finding what works best. I so greatly appreciate all of your comments and your knowledge. I came home from work tonight and couldn't wait to peak in on my baby. It smelled like bread rising
smiley4.gif
. I'm still a little concerned as the spigot is oozing somewhat. But I don't think I will loose anything. I don't know if that is normal or if everyone has an airtight seal. I'm sure it will be fine.

Take care~ D

My first kit went just like yours. I learned not to over tighten
the spigot cuz it's gonna leak. I didn't have a thermometer..etc.
Exactly the same issues as you. You'll find that things
will be just fine. You will also figure out what works best for
you from trial and error and what the great resource of people on this
forum have to say.

I see you are in Allen....I'm in Plano. Welcome. Isn't it nice we can just swing by George's store!
smiley32.gif

Cheers,

Doug~

Yes, it is very nice to be able to swing by. I got there pretty quickly via G. Bush.

Checked on my wine baby today (that's what my 4 yr old calls it). It's almost been 24 hours, it is starting to get whitish on top and is doing that snap, crackle, pop thing
smiley36.gif
, and it smells great. Fruity and bready all at one time!

Have a great day ~D

Latest posts

Back