My Concord is at 990 now

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kewanee

Junior
Reaction score
This is the wine that I restarted accidentally after reading something at it's first racking. Added sugar and water and she has been perking great for about two weeks. I just took a reading on the Hydrometer and she says 990.
Would you rack off now or restart because it has only been two weeks? Tasting kinda good.
~Kewanee

Not sure what you mean by "restart" could you please explain? With a SG reading on 0.990 the fermentation is most likely done.

Yes I'm sure it's done alright. Barely fermenting now. Stopped this morning and I added some heat and it's just a really slow perk.
So I know I should rack it off. It's not as sweet as I'd like it to be and I'm wondering now how to add some sweetning to it. Got three gallons and was wondering about blending wines before bottleing. Some real sweet stuff in hopes of evening out the flavor to semi sweet. Oh me.
I mean to start fermentation again when I said restart. But I'd really think not as I don't want a strong wine with to much alcohol content.
~Kewanee

add your campden tablets, and some sorbate to kill the yeast, then boil
1 cup of water with 2 cups of sugar, let it cool, then add a little and
mix it in if it's OK stop or add more till the wine tastes as you
want it.

Now that your fermentation is done you can stabilize and degas the wine by adding sulfite and sorbate and stirring well. At this point keep the carboy topped off well to help prevent against oxidation. The sorbate does not actually kill the yeast but will prevent refermentation when adding sugar to sweeten. Then you need to properly clear you wine by let it settle out on it's own or use a fining agent.

This featured article in a past newsletter will also help guide you:

http://www.finevinewines.com/March_2005.htm#feature

Latest posts

Back