My 1st batch of Muscadine Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LAgreeneyes

Reaction score
So tonight is my first attempt at making muscadine wine. I crushed 3 gallons of previously frozen muscadine. I got 3 quarts of juice. Realizing that I would need more juice, I took out 1 more bag of frozen muscadine to add to the 3 quarts. It looks like 1 bag of frozen muscadine makes 4 cups of juice, so 4 bags will give me the minimum amount that I am comfortable starting with. I didn't want to try more for fear of messing something up.

My readings for 3 quarts of juice are SG - 1.050, ABV 5%, and Balling 14. So from what I have read, I will need to add more sugar at this point to increase my SG. Not sure if when I add the additional 1 gallon bag (possible 4 cups) will increase the SG or ABV. I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow to add the sugar and kmeta and pectic enzyme after adding the additional juice.

I guess this is all that I can do for now until tomorrow. At least now I know that I need 4 gallons of muscadine to yield 1 gallin of juice.

If anyone has any suggesy at this point, please chime in.

I would like to add that I love a VERY VERY VERYsweet wine with a very high alcohol content. If I could get 18% I would be in heaven.

I know that I have to pick up a different type of yeast for this particular wine on tomorrow.

put the crushed muscadines in a bag, with your water, add pectin enzyme and ltet the fruit breakdown a day, then check the sg...then add sugar. you will get more sugar by breaking the fruit down a day...

You will notice, once you add your yeast, that much more juice will be released from the pulp as the yeast works on it. You should figure about 1 gal juice for every 10 lbs fruit. The juice you are seeing is just the free run juice right now.

Ok.

I will add the other gallon of muscadine and juice to the first batch that I did last night. I think that I need to get another type of yeast. (see my list of yeasts below that I have at home now)

I am getting confused on the names of ingredients. Todd, I noticed in your video that you mentioned Kmeta Sulfite. What is Kmeta Sulfite? I don't know if I have that but it may be named something else. This is what I have in my wine supply. What am I missing that I need to have on hand?

Campden Tabs
Acid Blend
Potassium Sorbate
Tannin
Pectic Enzyme (liquid)
Yeast Nutrient
EC-1118
K1-V1116
71B-1122

Thank everyone for your reply. I am looking forward to doing this right and having a great sweet wine with high alcohol content.

If I can get this one right, then I will start on my next batch.

kmeta is potassium metabisulphite. A very useful chemical in wine making
yeast - that 71B is a great yeast for the purple muscadine but the other 2 will work as well.

Ok, so if K-meta and campden are the same, then I have what I need.

Todd, did you say that you used a different yeast in your You Tube Video. What is the name of the yeast that you used?

thanks everyone

In the video I used D47. 71B can get you up to 14% alcohol, which is a lot of alcohol. The 18% you mentioned will be "hot" on your tongue for a long while. I would not recommend shooting for that. There are other ways to get to that. PM me and I will discuss with you.

Those grape skins look familiar

Hee hee hee. Yes Todd !!!!!!! Don't they!!!!!!! lol

Man, you have some beautiful muscadine. I'm so happy. I'm like a kid at Christmas. Best Christmas present EVER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My muscadine wine is coming along. I broke my hydrometer, so I have to get another one.

I tasted a bit of the muscadine last night and it is soooooooooo good. I can't wait until it's ready.

Latest posts

Back