Mustang Wine questions

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jzak

Junior
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I have been a long time lurker on the Forums but have been actively making wine for the last year.

Last year I started making some mustang wine from local grapes and was only a test as it turned out OK. This year I have access to ALLOT of mustang grapes and from the large amount of rainfall here I feel that I will have allot of grapes to play with. What I am going for is a good quality product made from the local native fruit varieties found here in Mid East Texas.

I really believe that I can make a good batch of mustang that would be very enjoyable and not have any of the (what a friend of mine calls) "allum" taste. I think that is to do with the amount of skin involved in the fermentation process.
I am looking at adding oak and possibly some mulberry juice (being that I have a large mulberry tree)in the mix to soften the mustang taste up a littleand remove the "wild taste" Also add a darker color to the wine. I have played around with the finished wine and have noticed that vanilla extract does soften up the mustang taste.

The acidity is what is my major problem, I really dont like reducing with water and Potassium Bicarbonate seems to be a little messy to me (never made a batch with it) I noticed on several sites about yeast (for reference purposes) that lalvin makes a Lalvin-AC which is designed to reduce the appearence of acidity in highly acidic wines. The information also stated that it would be good for North Amercian Varieties. I have not been able to find this strain of yeast anywhere and it appears to not be produced.

My post is actually 2 fold...
1. Does anyone have anyideas that i could do to improve/doctor up mustang wine to remove the "wildness"
&
2. Anyone ever used Lalvin-AC or know where I can get some?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

Welcome Jzack...Hope you get your questions answered here.

I have no idea what a Mustang Grape is, but will sure be watching this thread and learning along with you.

I have made wines with Wild X crossed grapes...they are some of the only grapes that survive up here...been experimenting with them and other hardy grapes.

Good Luck!

Jzak, welcome to the forum and a great Hobby.

Although I have never made a Mustang grape wine, I have had the pleasure of trying a bottle of Jack Kellers Mustang Grape. I thought it was wonderful!

I did detect a bit of the wild grape taste, or earthy taste which I rather enjoyed. I would look at his recipe and see if it's what you are looking for. I also think the Alum taste you refered to is just a matter of "More isn't better". Too many grapes = to many skins = to much tannins. Perhaps squeeze the juice from half and ferment on half the skins to cut this problem. Good luck and keep us posted.........

Oh yea........ We like pictures!

I probably failed to mention that Mustang is the local name for Muscadine... highly acidic and sugar levels vary tremdously. My last batch the brix were at only .40 :( I probably should have picked them a little bit later than when I did.

Hey Waldo! Get in here! Someone has a question for you...
smiley2.gif

Jzak, welcome to the forum and the frustrations of making a good Muscadine wine. Your first challenge is going to be making sure the fruit you are picking is going to be suitable for making a good wine. You can make wine from any Muscadine but not all Muscadines will make a good wine. To ensure or rather enhance your chance of your efforts being successful #1. make sure the fruit you are picking is fully vine ripe. That is critical. Having hurdled that one the next step is to freeze the fruit for a minimum of 2 weeks before processing. Short of diluting your must tolower the naturally high acidity of the Muscadine you are going to have to use the Potassium Bicarbonate or Calcium CArbonate which is what i use. It's not messy at all if your careful in how you approach the process. I make mine, split into two batches, treat one batch, cold stabilize for a couple of weeks then rack it and blend it back with the untreated batch.
I've never heard of the yeast you mentioned and would highly recommend
Montrachet for your Muscadine.

Reducing acid:
Calcium Carbonate
1/4oz will reduce the acidity of 1 U.S. gallon by 0.2% tartaric or 1.3 ppt sulfuric.
3tsp reduces 1 gallon by 15% tartaric or 1.0ppt sulfuric
Precipitates formed will settle out with the lees.
From Crosby & Baker Ltd. Winemakers Acid Test Kit (available thru George: FVW)

I've also read that egg whites will accomplish the same thing and are available in powdered form.

Latest posts

Back