Muscadines are ripe!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddrod

Reaction score
My Pam white muscadines are starting to ripen. I have already caught 2 coons and a opossum in the vines. I have to cull the heard before the majority of my grapes ripen.

Put bird netting on my Frontenac last weekend, will check the brix this weekend, I may be picking and making wine sooner than I thought. They normally ripen in mid Sept.

WOW Todd!!!! Mine are still about 2 months away. They are swelling nicely though. I plan on netting them in August just to be safe.

I am happy to say the birds do not give me any trouble with my grapes. The other wildlife are a different story.

The birds didn't bother last year, but with all my other fruit attracting animals this year, I don't want to take any chances.

I've never had birds or squirrels bothering my muscadines. I had a french hybrid grape (just pulled up the vine this summer) that was on the same arbor with the muscadines and the birds would come and get them and not bother the muscadines. I did have to dispose of a possum that was getting my muscadines year before last.

Latest posts

Back