Muscadine Vineyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
Last try:
I received my vines on 3/21 and thats when it started raining. Hope to plant tomorrow. I have 25 Ison-Black-fertile, they said these make the best wine and I have 20 Darlene - bronze female. My 9 rows are 100 feet long and the vines will be spaced at 20 feet, 5 vines per row, with cross-ties for end post and 4 X 4 X 8's for line post (3 per row) I have 1000 feet of 9 ga wire and the gripper wire jointers, I also have 45 Blue X shelters. Hope this works out good, any advice will be welcome.
Semper Fi
Also, does anyone have any experience with Blue X Shelters, I didn't get any directioons or instructions. Googled it and got very little help
Thanks

Vineyard 001.jpg

Vineyard 002.jpg

Vineyard 003.jpg

Vineyard 004.jpg

Vineyard 005.jpg

Vineyard 006.jpg

Coil the flat sheet so it is about an inch and a half coiled up and the length of the blue platic sleeve. Slide it in there and that is all there is to it. Stant it over the vine and hill the soil up a few inches to seal the bottom. It is also suggested that you use bamboo stakes to keep them upright. I put the stakes in close to the vine first and then slide the tube down over it between the layers. It takes a bit of practice but goes quickly when you get the hang of it.

Be prepared for ALOT of grapes with that many vines. I have 2 Isons and they do make a very good wine. The Darlene's make a very nice white that is similar to a Sauvingon Blanc if you do not ferment them on the skins. Consistant watering, either rain or dripper, is the key to getting them off to grow very well the 1st and second yr.

Latest posts

Back