Moving during aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montyfox

Reaction score
I couldn't find an answer to this after doing a search so here it goes. What are the rules about moving the wine during the bulk aging process? When I say moving, I mean moving to a new town (as in relocation). I'm pretty sure that I will be relocating in about 2.5 years. I know that sounds like a long way away, but when you consider the time needed to bulk age, that's not very far off. So, what happens to wine if it gets moved around in the carboy while relocating? Will it be ok or should I just plan to not have anything aging during that time?
Monty

You can definitely do it but speaking from experience it can be a pain. I only moved 5 miles the last time I moved but was plain wore out moving the carboys and all of my bottled wine. It won't hurt anything. Just let it settle down a while again after you move. Remember, wine is shipped by truck to the stores.

If youre in the bulk aging stage, I probably would rack off any lees so as not to get them all stirred in again and prolong that process.

Back