Mosti Mondiale Mosti Mondiale kits started

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geocorn

Vendor
Reaction score
Today I started 3 different wine kits from the Mosti Mondiale MM)line with the assistance of a local customer, Mike Foreman (mikeforeman is his forum name). The kitswere the

La Bodega Port
All Juice Chardonnay
Rennaisance Carmenere

I started out by reading the instructions for each kit TWICE to make sure I knew what to do and to identify differences between the MM kits and the Winexpert (WE) kits. There are some notible differences and I will highlight them below:

First, with theWE kits, the bentonite is the first thing you put in the bucket along with 2 liters (1/2 gallon) of water. With the MM kits, you disolve the bentonite in 8 ounces of cold water for 30 minutes before adding to the must. After seeing how bentonite can clump up, I will admit I was sceptical.
smiley5.gif
After 30 minutes, I examined the bentonite and it had greatly swelled to a point were it filled half of the water. Mike and I both thought the benonite looked like swollen maccaroni. I stirred the bentonite and it quickly dissolved. I poured it into the must and stirred. Seemed to work like the directions indicate.

Second, WE kits tell you to sprinkle the yeast on top. MM kits tell you to rehydrate the yeast according to the instructions on the yeast packet. The Port kit went as far as to specifically tell you to NOT SPRINKLE THE YEAST ON TOP! Once again, I followed the instructions and rehydrated the yeast in 106 degree water. 15 minutes later the yeast was bubbling away, so I added it to the must.

Thirdly, WE kits come with oak powder and/or very small oak chips; whereas, the MM kits come with larger oak chips. WE tells you to put the oak in the primary and MM tells you to wait and add the oak after the first racking. Based on the size of the oak chips in the MM kits, I understand the rational. The oak chips will need more time to allow the tannins to be removed because of the size of the chip. If you added them in the primary, they would not be finished in 5-7 days. The MM kit will spend 2 weeks in secondary which will more than double the exposure time of the oak to the wine and result in more tannin and flavor extraction.

MM also tells you to do the first racking at 1.020 instead of 1.010. This faster racking probably has something to do with oak by adding it while fermentation is still going and to give the oak longer time in secondary.

I would also like to point out that the Port had 2 packets of yeast and a pouch of raisins. With WE kits, you would add all of the flavoring additions, exept an F-Pack, before you pitch the yeast. As a result, I grabbed the bag of raisins and started to add them to the must. Then, I decided to re-read the instructions and guess what? The instructions said to wait 24 hours before adding the raisins.
smiley36.gif

I have heard some complaints about the instructions from the MM kits, but I found them fairly easy to follow, once I took the time to read and re-read them. The process is slightly different from WE, but like WE, MM has made a lot of kits and knows what is best for their products.

I hope this helps, but if you have any questions, please ask.

I will post more as I progress through the process. No, I did not take pictures. The battery in my camera was dead.
smiley11.gif

Thanks George and since these kits from MM are new to many of us it is important we share and compare notes to make the best wine possible.

I just want to help a bit here...

If you follow the instruction from MM i think they write somewhere that the addition of oak on the secondary 9instead of primary) like most kit it's to have the alcool present in the wine to extract more oak.

i have read that if you put oak in primary you will have a softer oak taste later on, if you add it later in the process you will have a bigger oak taste for a longer period of time. i also have read that the tannin chain are affected by the oak in primary or econdary additon.

i think Mosti is more on the "traditionnal" way to do it. You add oak (like barelling) once the ferm is complete. like in winery. they put the wine in the barrels once the ferm is completed.

like Mr said. they test and test so much kit that they know what to expect.

When the Bodega kit was available (last march 15th to be precise) i spotted an error in the instruction the waiting period and the correct "day" was all mxed up... like... wait for 14 days an then rack and wait for 20 days, the nest step was at day 28 ????? that should have been like on daY 40... anyway. i called them and they corrected it. (i think it was a bad "cut and paste" in the document. since all the instruction sheets are alike those cut and paste errors can happen quickly and get unotice also.

And for the late oaking more company include a second stage oaking in the process to enhance the oak taste in kits. check for the Cellarcraft showcase kit with grape pack. the seocnd oaking is pretty impressive and fit well with the kits. (you should all taste the Limited Barbera of last year! Oh my god! too good
smiley3.gif

cheers!
smiley1.gif

I also read and reread the instructions. They were pretty clear once I'd read. I like the way George explains why there are differences from the WE instrucitons.

My MM Amorone is blbbling away nicely.

Awesome info everyone. Its weird how each company has different
instructions. W.E. has you rack @ 1.010, M.M. has you rack @ 1.020, and
R.J.S. has you rack when done fermenting. Makes you wonder as these
kits cant be really that different.

My MM all juice Soave is in the fining stage. When racking from the fermenter is says take all the lees, when racking the second time it says to leave the lees. After racking the second time you degas and fine. It was very clear at the end of the fermentation and 1 day after the fining step is looks crystal clear. It says to wait 7 more days then rack once more. I've followed the instructions to the T for this first run. I can't see any reason why I would change them on any future kits. I am so impressed with this kit (I don't know if it's the type of wine or the kit but I am very happy with it).

BTW, S.G. was

Chardonnay - 1.090
Carmenere - 1.095
Port - 1.115!!!

We tasted the juice. The chard was ok, but the carmenere and port were outstanding. I am already excited about the potential.

probably that this port will be the lastbrand you make!
you wont go back to other port kit
smiley2.gif

all other port taste nothing compared to this bomb!

enjoy! (i made mine with a bottle of 94%alcool to boost my 23L of Port)

remember that if you add brandy (40%) you also add 60% of unknown stuff in your port (That's why i took only pure stuff) not to impart of change taste. Some use Vodka since it,s pretty "tasteless".

cant wait to see your review in some months!

Cheers!

Edited by: david_québec

Glad to see that you are trying your own kits. I think it goes to show that you are truely a good vendor. By trying them you can give a good review of them. Thanks George.

Also, I just started a WE kit and it's SG was about 29.2 brix (about SG 1.113)

Do you have to add sugar to the La Bodega during fermentation?

rshosted said:
Glad to see that you are trying your own kits. I think it goes to show that you are truely a good vendor. By trying them you can give a good review of them. Thanks George.

Also, I just started a WE kit and it's SG was about 29.2 brix (about SG 1.113)

Do you have to add sugar to the La Bodega during fermentation?

There is no Add on of sugar with the bodega kit.

You ferment DRY and after you add the big FPACK to put the sugar level where you want it to!

If you want to fortify it later you can.
thay suggest apricot brandy to fortify.

also this kit come with a big raisin bags and a good bag of oak chip.
you should all try this one up :D

I wonder if they are seedless raisins like one could by in a store, or if they are actually from a varietal?

To my knowledge, they are varietal raisins, but as to what varietal, I'm not sure. I'd be very surprised if they were Corvina, Rondinella or Molinara. But Quebec stores are known to sell "wine making raisins" which are different from eating raisins. Since MM is based in Quebec, I'd guess they use those raisins.

Maybe George will start to carry these? Then we could improve all of our kits (HINT HINT)
smiley15.gif

In the meantime, anyone know where I can order said Varietal grapes online?

I added the raisins today and one would not fall out of the bag, so I reached in to grab it. My hands were not sanitized, so I had no option but to eat it. It tasted much better than Sun-Maid, so I would assume it is a varietal.

I will check with MM to see if I can get the raisin packs.

BTW, all 3 batches were fermenting up a storm and smelled "yummy"!
smiley4.gif
Edited by: geocorn

Sounds Great
smiley32.gif

I just started the WE port yesterday, have a chocolate orange port on the way too, and just ordered the MM Bodega from you today george.

See what you've started!!!
smiley36.gif

geocorn said:
I will check with MM to see if I can get the raisin packs.

George: Would that be so that all of us could buy just the raisin packs for our other wines? What wines could we use them in for instance (no brand name please).

I think there are 2 types of raisins that are sold, white and red, and would work for each type of wine where added body and tannins are desired.

Yep dean is right.

My LHBS have both red and white (well golden color) raisins

just be sure that they are not oiled or treated with chemical that could impart your wine

ABC Cork has them, but I don't currently buy from them. Hopefully, MM will have them for sale.

Latest posts

Back