Mosti Mondiale Mosti Masters Edition

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsmahoney

Reaction score
Sometimes I think a person "thinks" they've slowed down and then I turn around and find that I must have my head up my, somewhere!

Following the directions carefully, "I thought!" The S.G. read 0.995 and so it was time to transfer and add the clarifier's. (stage 3) As I transferred I realized that I didn't put in the oak in stage (2). So, I finished up the siphoning of the wine added the oak andplan to leaveit there for another week. I did not add any clarifier'sto it at this time, (just siphonedit into a new carboy,and added the oak),wanting the oak to hopefully to seep into the wine. It is not topped off at this time either.

After the week, I plan to continue with the third stage of clarifying.

Do you see any problems with this, besides where my head is?

Depending on the type of oak, I would think you would be okay to add your clarifiers too. If you add your clarifiers and plan to rack in 2 weeks or so. You could effciently kill two birds with one stone.

UNLESS your oak is powder. Then I would suggest staying with the directions. But if it is chips, you would be fine as they should settle to the bottom in a week or two.

Often, I will not add the oak when I am told and wait till the end of everything (clarification/degassing) then add a different oak product (oak Spirals from George).

I seem to find there is not enough oak from a week of chips. I prefer to have my wine a little overoaked that way when I open the bottles in a year or more the flavor has mellowed and makes a nice addition to the wine. (plus the spirals are less messy and easier to remove)

Either way should be fine as you will need to rack in two weeks anyway.

Latest posts

Back