Mold?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrsJones

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByWine Making1415929428.477308.jpg

This is an Amarone Costco Kit that I started on Nov 2, 2014.

While primary fermentation should have taken approx ten days according to the directions; it appears to be completely finished after nine days with the SG dropping to 0.994. Temp was a steady 21C.

I racked to secondary and left it for two days intending to confirm SG reading today. When I looked, I saw this white haze across the head of the carboy.

Wondering if anyone has seen a similar haze, if it's mood, and if I can save it by racking and moving to the stabilizing/clearing stage of my kit and adding the kit metabisulphate, sorbate, and kieselol.

Thank you much!

Last edited:
It is kind of difficult to see but it isn't mold. I would go ahead a proceed as the kit instructions tell you. Did you by chance smell it?

Hey Julie; thanks for commenting. I didn't smell mold. I asked on another forum and someone suggested oxi clean residue from not rinsing thoroughly.

I've racked leaving the worst of the residue behind, moved on the next steps (kmeta and sorbate) and will check and taste after work. If it looks ok, will add clearing agents as per kit.

Latest posts

Back