Clarification on a kit wine

Discussion in 'Beginners Wine Making Forum' started by iridium, Aug 9, 2017.

Wine Making Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating:

1. Aug 9, 2017 #1

iridium

iridium

iridium

Supporting Members WMT Supporter

I am on my first kit wine as my previous posts will indicate. Secondary fermentation, according to the instructions, was supposed to take 12 days. I measured SG at about 7 days and found it to be 0.994 which is within the range stated by the kit. I moved to the degassing stage because I assume that the SG readings control when you move to the next stage rather than an arbitrary amount of time.Is that correct?

The other question I have is that during degassing the kit had me add 1/4 tsp of potassium metabisulphite along with a clearing agent. That amount of sulphite was for a one gallon kit. For my next step I am going to rack and bulk age in a carboy for at least three months. Given that I have just added a lot of sulphite to the wine it would seem like I can wait for three months before adding more. However, I was hoping those with a little more experience could weigh in.

Thank you and looking forward to starting my next kit.

2. Aug 9, 2017 #2

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

Wine will ferment at it's own pace - regardless of what "instructions" say. Temperature has a lot to do with that in a kit wine. Most other influences are stable because it's a kit wine.
    Follow the SG when it comes to determining when it's done. Rule of thumb most use is - If the SG doesn't change for 3 days and you are at or below 1.000 - Tis done.

Yes, normally 3 months between sulfite additions unless you have racked it multiple times during that 3 months. Some folks add sulfite every other racking BUT then they normally rack a little more often.

3. Aug 9, 2017 #3

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Large Member WMT Supporter

Am I reading right? The 1 gallon kit had you add 1/4 tsp of sulfite? That's the amount of sulfite for a 6 gallon kit, administered every three months. If you've indeed added 1/4 tsp to a one gallon kit, your sulfite is six times stronger than needed, it won't need sulfite for a long time.....

Scooter68 likes this.
  4. Aug 9, 2017 #4

iridium

iridium

iridium

Yes you are reading that correctly. I was surprised by the amount but followed directions.

5. Aug 9, 2017 #5

Brickhouse

Brickhouse

Brickhouse

I was once told that in regards to moving on to different stages of fermentation, follow the directions on the kit and/or the SG....whichever takes longer.

Hasn't let me down yet.

cpfan and bkisel like this.
  6. Aug 9, 2017 #6

cpfan

cpfan

cpfan

Out of interest .... what is the kit that you are making?

7. Aug 9, 2017 #7

iridium

iridium

iridium

Master vintner small batch Cabernet Sauvignon

8. Aug 9, 2017 #8

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Last edited: Aug 9, 2017
  9. Aug 9, 2017 #9

J-Hat

J-Hat

J-Hat

Grape Squasher

10. Aug 9, 2017 #10

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Same instructions I found online as well. The online instructions have the winemaker add a packet of sulfite, which I presume was included with the kit and 1/6 of the 1/4 teaspoon. I do see mention in the step below about dissolving potassium sorbate into 1/4 cup of water, but it's the only reference to 1/4 of anything I see. I asked the OP to post a pic of the instructions, perhaps MV inadvertently included instructions from a 6 gallon kit???

11. Aug 9, 2017 #11

iridium

iridium

iridium

I will post as soon as I can. However these look like the same instructions except I am using kieselsol and chitosan for clearing agents. I haven't added the chitosan or potassium sir are and after reading everything here I don't think I will and instead bulk age.

Also as an FYI one gallon carbons hold a lot more than one gallon if you are trying to get liquid up to the neck of the carboy to minimize oxygen. Need to get some commercial wine to top off

12. Aug 9, 2017 #12

iridium

iridium

iridium

Should be potassium sorbate

13. Aug 13, 2017 #13

Johnd

Johnd

Johnd

Is it safe to assume, since they've not been posted, that your instructions are the same as the ones we found on line, and didn't instruct the winemaker to add 1/4 tsp sulfite to one gallon of wine?

14. Aug 13, 2017 #14

iridium

iridium

iridium

I had some computer issues, but here are the instructions. The don't say an amount of k-meta to add. Instead they say to add k-meta and the amount provided in the kit was 1/4 tsp.

Instructions.jpg

15. Aug 17, 2017 #15

drainsurgeon

drainsurgeon

drainsurgeon

The instructions say to add the "packet" of potassium metebisulfite and don't really specify what that amount is. I would have to assume that he measured the amount that was in the packet. I've never used Camden tablets before but is it possible this packet had one crushed in it? I'm assuming also that Camden tablets have more volume after crushing than would be required by the kmeta powder for 1 gallon. Just a thought.

16. Aug 17, 2017 #16

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

Hard to imagine a Campden table being well crushed in a packet. I have enough work to crush them when I need to with a mortar and pestle. Possible I imagine but more likely just one of starting out mistakes we all are likely to make.

17. Aug 17, 2017 #17

iridium

iridium

iridium

Drainsurgeon is correct. I measured the packet before adding. I was curious because everyone here said 1/4 tsp per five gallons so I was very surprised when I measured the packet and came up with the amount I did.

18. Aug 21, 2017 #18

Ron0126

Ron0126

Ron0126

30 batches my first year, still learning

If I'm using a Campden tablet, I fold a small piece of parchment paper with the tablet inside and smack it with a hammer a couple times. Works like a charm!

19. Aug 21, 2017 #19

Scooter68

Scooter68

Scooter68

Fruit "Wine" Maker

Shot glass and hard wood handle of a kitchen untensile works. Point is, accidental powdering of a campden tablet is a stretch of my imagination. (And I have been accused of numerous "flights of fantasy.")

Ron0126 likes this.
  20. Sep 15, 2017 #20

iridium

iridium

iridium

So to follow up the wine is bulk aging in a carboy topped with a commercial Cabernet. Since the k-meta was so much more it seems like I can rack once at three months without dosing with k-meta and then continue to age. Also too much k-meta leads to off tastes right?

Thank you.