Cellar Craft Modification of Instructions for Bulk Aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CandJ

Junior
Reaction score
Started two kits yesterday - the Cellarcraft Showcase Zweigelt & Camenere.

I’ve been reading how to improve kits in winemaker mag with the 5-20-50-90 day plan and here’s thoughts on that.
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Day1: Start Primaries as instructed (but using a large fine mesh bag to hold all grape skins and oak shavings so the grapes can float in the juice-fits over the outside of the primary)
Day8: SG &lt; 1.01, Squeeze juice from grape pack into primary, Rack to secondary (6G carboy)
Day21: SG&lt;.998; Rack; Degas; Add Sorbate; Add KMeta; Add Oak cubes
Day49: Sample oak flavor; Rack if good(which removes cubes); Add 1/8tsp Kmeta
Day104: Check Clarity, Possibly add ½ or ¼ of the clarifiers; then Rack into Carboy
Day 112: Ready for Bottling

Questions:
I normally don’t have an intermediate racking on Day 49 (which is too remove the oak cubes). Without racking, the lees would still be in the carboy and after bulk aging, if I don’t like the clarity, I can add the clarifiers and stir the lees. I think the clarifiers require the lees in the carboy to work properly. This process may preclude that. What has anyone done about the clarification step?

This kit seems added the grapes/shavings and 2cups of sorbate water after the filling to 23 liters in the primary (which is a bit more than 6G. I’m suspecting I’ll have extra wine, then when it’s time to add the oak cubes and remove them, I’ll have an air gap – Do you save extra wine in a small bottle, or just top off later?

How long do you go with the oak cubes? This plan is for 28 days instead of 21.

Thanks!

I always aggressively rack and extras go in a wine bottle with an air lock. Also I basically follow the kit instructions. The big difference is my timing, I don't rush the wine out of the primary and when I rack to the secondary it usually will sit there for 4-6 weeks, sometimes longer (depends on how lazy I feel). When I go to stabilize &amp; degas the wine I again aggressively rack all of it, including any extras into the primary add all the additions and rack back into the cleaned carboys. Usually about 2 weeks later (or so) I'll rack off the chemicals and let the new wine rest in the carboy for a year. Oak should be according to taste. I like a lot so I tend to let it sit for a little longer, and many others will opt for less time. After 3 weeks taste the wine and make your decision to rack off the oak based on your taste.
BTW, I'll be stabilizing &amp; clearing my Zweigelt this week, can't wait for a taste! The Carmenere is one I want to make soon, maybe after the first of the year depending on the Limited Editions, so please let us know your impressions of the wine.
VC

Back