Oaking an Amarone during Carboy aging

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sipper

Reaction score
Since I’ve decided not to use the additional chemicals for clarifying, and to age my Amarone in the carboy, my question is about when to add the additional Oak cubes. the original instructions that came with the kit say to add the cubes after the first racking to a carboy, right out of the fermenting bucket. Since I’m aging in the carboy I have to decide how long to leave the oak cubes in the carboy before re-racking. The instructions also say that degassing should happen at this stage which concerns me. Somehow, that doesn’t make sense to me until I rack the wine off of the settled lees, and remove the oak cubes. Any ideas on this since I’m not going to follow the enclosed instructions for racking and clarifying?

I usually wait to add cubes until after secondary fermentation is completed. At that point, I rack off the remaining sediment and add the cubes. I've also added sulfite with that racking. From there, I can let the cubes stay in there for 6-8 weeks and at that point, they've given all they are going to give.

Back