Mosti Mondiale MM Renaissance Shiraz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K&GB

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the differences, if any, between the All Juice and the Renaissance products in terms of the finished wine? I thought I had ordered the All Juice, but ordered the Renaissance instead. I did order a Syrah grape pack to go with it. Got high hopes for this wine. Initial SG 1.114
smiley3.gif

I haven't done any all juice but have done several Renaissance. From what I have read on this forum you may have made an excellent and fortunate mistake.

I have been happier with the Renaissance kits hands down over the AJ. In fact the last AJ I made because I was desperate to make a Petit Syrah and it looked like the only option for that varietal. I made it and added a CC Syrah grape pack on top of it much like you did. It went through my Vadai barrel as well for 3 months and I added some Tancor Grand Cru to boot. Its coming along very nicely at this point. Its only about 15 mo old at the moment so still pretty young.

Well, the fermentation is well underway. I rehydrated the yeast, and it was bubbling inside of 24 hrs. I tried something different with the Syrah grape pack. Cut it completely open on three sides and just scraped it all into the must without a strainer bag. I stir it twice a day, and on day 3 the temp spiked up from the 70 degrees F that I was maintaining with an electric blanket to 85 degrees F when I checked it this evening. No more blanket! Stupid thing turns itself off after 4 hrs anyway. The wine smells wonderful at this point, and I'm considering adding a bit of water to it when I transfer to secondary. I always drain off 1/2 gal during the transfer and keep that separate until fermentation is complete. Then I recombine at the first racking. With the anticipated high ABV (15.5 %) of this wine, a little extra water may be needed to bring it down a bit. No room in the primary right now though, not with a full head of foam on the top.

Made the Ren Aussy Shiraz in 2008, tookabout two years to become good, very old worldflavors,not much fruit but has depth and not veryShirazy but a nice dinner wine.The Cellar Classic Shiraz was/is not much different to the Ren Shiraz althoughwas better earlier andthe Ren isbetter now with aging. The Cru Select 2010 has amazing shiraz fruit aroma and an immediatefruit bomb, nochange in the mid palet and has a slightly tanic finish, very shirazy butdoes not haveanypeppery shirazy hints like in the great commercial Shiraz's. Most people luv the CruSelect Shiraz as a cocktailwine. Have some Aussie friendswho luvboththe Ren and Cellar Classic Cab/Shiraz blends,same story the Ren took longer toage and hasmore depth now so will make the Ren again. All aged in the same coolbasement wine racks. Will be moving upto the grape skin kitsin the near future.

wineShiraz.JPG

Back