Mosti Mondiale MM Renaissance Castel del Papa

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXTom

Junior
Reaction score
I just started my first kit yesterday, a MM Renaissance Castel del Papa.

The must started at 78.5 degrees and 1.103 SG. I measured SG again after I pitched the yeast and added the bentonite and it was down slightly to 1.102. Fermentation started fairly quickly and was evident 5 hours later. By this morning, it was going strong.

One question I have is should I go to the trouble of taking a sample to measure SG or can I just bob the hydrometer in the primary? I have seen a couple of posts supporting both ways so I'm not sure if I risk getting inaccurate readings by not using the thief.

This picture was taken about 18 hours after pitching.

Cheers

20111023_160741_2011-10-23_08.4.jpg

20111023_160802_2011-10-23_12.4.jpg

Looks good, Tom. I haven't made this kit, but the 2 Renaissance kits I did make turned out excellent. Expect to wait 1 1/2 to 2 years before the kit drinks well.

As far as the hydrometer use, you already have your initial SG which can be used to calculate the final ABV. I recommend that you wait the number of days called for in the instructions before checking the SG again. That will keep you from being tempted to transfer to a carboy early. When you check the SG, it will probably be below the SG called for to transfer to the carboy, so that is when to take the next step.

For picture resizing you can use the free program VSO Image Resizer. It is easy to use. Download it from your favorite s/w download site.

Thanks V1. I updated my post with another picture and resized the first one.

So are you saying that if I followed the MM directions and transferred at 1.04-1.05, that would be too early? Is waiting mainly to lessen chances of a wine volcano or are there other reasons?

TXTom said:
Thanks V1. I updated my post with another picture and resized the first one.

So are you saying that if I followed the MM directions and transferred at 1.04-1.05, that would be too early? Is waiting mainly to lessen chances of a wine volcano or are there other reasons?

Yes. you can put the hydrometer in the primary. Just sanitize it and your good to go. You cannot check the SG too often. I would transfer per instructions.

24 hours after pitching, I stirred and took temp and SG readings, which were 77 and 1.097. Below are some before and after stirring pics.

Before

20111023_185214_2011-10-23_17.1.jpg

After

20111023_185239_2011-10-23_17.2.jpg

rhoffart said:
You cannot check the SG too often. I would transfer per instructions.

This is where I see the problem creeping in. "per instructions" can be interpreted to mean as soon as the SG drops to range called for by that manufacturer. If you read the instructions carefully, that isn't the intent. They say to wait the specified number of days, THEN check the SG. If it is at or below the specified range, transfer to the carboy.

One caveat, if the instructions say to transfer at 1.04-1.05 or so, be VERY careful and take the transfer slowly to try to prevent a volcano.

I tried to pull up the Renaissance instructions from Mosti's website but wasn't able to. Argh.

The problem that causes the wine volcano when you transfer a Mosti kit is is that they have you add the some yeast nutrient at about 1.04, usually some oak, then transfer to carboy. I can guarantee you if you follow these directions, in the order written in the instruction you will have foaming wine spewing out of the top of the carboy for 5 minutes.

Add the nutrient, oak if supplied and stir it up and leave it in the primary for a day or two more to let this reaction that takes place settle down. Just snap the lid on the primary and add the airlock for a couple of days more then you should be safe to transfer to glass.

The Renaissance kits are great bang for the buck. Have not made one that was not a winner winner chicken dinner!

rhoffart said:

It must be me, Rick. I can't get that link to fully load for some reason. Same thing that happened to me yesterday when I tried. I get the pdf format but the page stops loading before I can see any verbage.

Thanks for all of the advice. When I got home tonight, I checked on the wine and, interestingly, noticed that there was no foam on top but could see movement in the wine. I left the top off for a few minutes and came back to see that it was covered in fresh pink foam (pic below). I checked temp and SG (82 and 1.065). For the first time, the wine is hotter than the ambient temp in the room of about 78. It seems that the fermentation is going strong.

20111024_211813_2011-10-24_19.3.jpg

I would say so! Some wines will be fizzy fermenters (like a can of open coke) and other will be a boiling caldron almost. Never can tell what they will do but you usually end up loving them all like your own kids!
smiley36.gif

ibglowin said:
Some wines will be fizzy fermenters (like a can of open coke) and other will be a boiling caldron almost.

Yeah, this one has gone through phases of both so far. As I was stirring it, a lot of bubbles were produced and it had an almost champagne-like aroma to it as the bubbles were surfacing.

We'll see what tomorrow holds.

So now I'm 72 hours post pitch and am at 1.036 and still at 82 degrees. Any thoughts on next steps? Per MM's directions at day 3-5, I should add the yeast nutrient and oak and rack to a carboy. From comments on here, it sounds like I should consider waiting another couple of days before racking. If it do that, should I snap down the primary and add fill up the airlock? Should I add the yeast nutrient now and let it settle down for a couple of days, then rack? Thanks.

TXTom said:
So now I'm 72 hours post pitch and am at 1.036 and still at 82 degrees. Any thoughts on next steps? Per MM's directions at day 3-5, I should add the yeast nutrient and oak and rack to a carboy. From comments on here, it sounds like I should consider waiting another couple of days before racking. If it do that, should I snap down the primary and add fill up the airlock? Should I add the yeast nutrient now and let it settle down for a couple of days, then rack? Thanks.
I would do exactly what you outlined above.

Add the nutrient and oak, stir a bit, snap the lid and add the airlock . If you follow the directions you will get the dreaded wine volcano. Trust me. You can transfer to glass in a couple of days.

I added the nutrient last night and snapped the lid down. I didn't add the oak yet as I decided it would be harder to transfer to the carboy if I did as it is in the form of chips. I stirred and checked SG tonight and it was at 1.018, 96 hours after pitching. I'm going to let it stay in primary for a few days and transfer to carboy by Saturday at the latest.

To get caught up on progress. As I posted above, I added the nutrient to the primary on day 3 with SG of 1.036, on day 4 it was 1.018, day 5 was 1.006. Tonight on day 6, it is at 1.001 and I racked to secondary (including all sediment) and added the oak chips. No issues with volcanoes.

I plan to stir daily and let it stay as is for 7 days.

Latest posts

Back