Mosti Mondiale MM degas

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

First250

Reaction score
I plan to start my first MM kit this weekend ( Rio Grande Rojo) 16 liter.

Two differences that I see in the WE and MM instructions:

1. Fermentation temperature range is higher with the MM :70-76 degrees.

I had great fermentation with the WE 15 liter (red) kit at 65-68 degrees and my cellar (basement
smiley2.gif
) is now at68-72 degrees. Is the higher temp range necessary for MM primary fermentation?

2. When it is time to de-gass, do I really need to do it 4 times over a 24 hour period? I used my drill attachment with the WE kitsand gavethem a very thorough stirring, waited a few minutes and repeated.

Thanks!

JimEdited by: First250

Jim,

From someone still trying to master the art of degassing, my advice is to use the 24 hrs. Having said that, I did exactly that with my WE Viognier but still had LOTS of CO2 when I bottled it 4 months later. I've used the fizz-ex with my drill- forward and backward. I've used a thin wooden dowl (works best in my opinion), and finally I've bought the tiny vacu-vin and carboy cap that George sells. Amazingly enough, ALL of the wines that I took such pains to degass after fermentation produced a huge amount of bubbles while using the vacu-vin. Kind oftells me a vacuum system is the way to go.

KenEdited by: K&GB

WE and MM kits are different.
1. Most wine kits, including WE recommend a fermentation temperature of 73 degrees. Some wine makers will ferment lower than 70 degrees, but you run the risk of a stuck fermentation.

2. The instructions for MM kits have changed and the 24 hour period is not in the new instructions. The concept is just to de-gas the wine. Whatever method works best for you is the best method to use and there are lots of different methods.

Ken & Gina, how do you like the vac-u-vin and carboy cap to degass? Does it do a good job? Would you recommend it? When I begin making wine again in the Fall I want to try a degassing method other than the drill......which works pretty well.
On another note, have you tried your Riesling yet? I have decided to try my wines at the 6 month period and then 2 month increments after that. I am my own worse critic, but I have to tell you, I was pleasantly surprised with the Mezza Luna Red. (My first red I made)

uavwmn said:
Ken & Gina, how do you like the vac-u-vin and carboy cap to degass? Does it do a good job? Would you recommend it? When I begin making wine again in the Fall I want to try a degassing method other than the drill......which works pretty well.
On another note, have you tried your Riesling yet? I have decided to try my wines at the 6 month period and then 2 month increments after that. I am my own worse critic, but I have to tell you, I was pleasantly surprised with the Mezza Luna Red. (My first red I made)

http://www.finevinewines.com/degassing1.htm

I experienced my first wine volcano with the 23L kit during the first rack. After only 4 days the SG was where it should be, so I racked. The volcano was a surprise but it subsided while I ate dinner and I didn't lose much wine. I hadseen them mentioned while browsing this forum , but didn't remember having readwhat to do (apparently there is nothing one can do but wait for it to stop!).

As I followed the directions exactly, would the cause of this be higher juice content?I had no volcanoes with the two 15L and one 16L kits. Are these common, and what can I do to reduce the chances of it happening again?

In additiona bit of excitementcaused by the eruption,I got to taste this Castel de Papa again.
smiley32.gif
!!

That happened to me last night with a VN Pinot Noir. I've had volcanoes before so this time I tried to be careful, intentionally racking in stages so there'd be some headroom in the carboy just in case, and then it volcanoed out anyway.After aquick sanitization of a previously-cleanedempty wine bottle and my wine thief, I removed 750ml from the carboy. That gave it enough room to not foam out. A few hours later I added it back in with no volcano. So next time, I'm going to rack into a 1 gallon jug (filling it halfway) first, then the carboy, then add it back later.

As far as why, MM kits might be more prone to volcanos on the first racking because they have you do it sooner than WE (1.050-1.040 instead of 1.020-1.010) so there's less time for some of it to dissipate naturally.

uavwmn,
I've been using both the drill stirrer and the vacuvin on the MM kits but you have to be careful the first time you apply the vac. Might be just a touch of an erruption!
BTW there doen't seem to be any pattern although I first thought there was more gas in the MM kits than the WE.The last two MM, Chianti and Castel del Papa, behaved like perfect gentlemen under the vac. It'll soon be time to taste....

1st250. Ive been there more times then I would like to mention and only when I add the k-meta. I think the solution to this is to mix in the k-meta into a small glass of wine or water and then add it to a carboy that has plenty of headspace. Heres a good pic for you of 1 of my volcanoes.
20080617_163402_Volcano.jpg

smiley3.gif
I think you were a tad vigorous with your drill, Wade! Is this one the plum?
smiley4.gif

I dont recall but if it is the plum then this wine was doomed from the start judging by the other post I just finished.
smiley35.gif

I just used that vacu-vin and it works really nice.

Prepare for shoulder pain
smiley36.gif
great shoulder muscle workout.Edited by: Dominick

I have that and it works good, especially for bottles but if your going to degas a few ncarboys then the brake bleeder will be a little easier on your body and it has a gauge on it so you know when you have been thorough enough.

Dom, I just got the vacuvin from George. Looking forward to trying it out. A little exercise won't hurt anyone!!!!!
smiley36.gif

Jack, I bought the MM Caberenet/Merlot kit from George. I will be curious to see if this wine will "behave" when it is degassing time.
smiley4.gif

Wade, maybe a large plastic tub from WalMart would help in the messy volcano on the nice floor!!
smiley2.gif

I put my carboys in the tub so if there is any spillage it is in the tub and not the carpet or floor.

That is a very good idea. I need to go to Wallyworld and get a Rubbermaid container to do this in as I dont want to carry my 6 gallon carboys up from my cellar.

Back