A moment of silence, please…

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crushday

grape juice artisan
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2A320160-2D35-4DF6-88B5-5D795B7B326B.jpeg

While you take time to recover, let me tell you why I dumped five Mosti Mondaile kits. These kits spent 6 months in a barrel and the last 2.5 months back in a carboy hoping they’d clear. The wine never cleared. All attempts to clear the wine proved futile. As a final attempt, I could have tried filtering but decided against the trouble since the wine tasted funny.

During the fermentation process, I discovered my Inkbird malfunctioned and left the heater on wide open. I’m not sure how long it was that way because the primary was done and I didn’t check it for a while since I was doing extended maceration with the grape packs.

Here are my notes from each of the five kits…

MM Petit Verdot, Started 6/22/2020, TBS tannin Riche, pitched Avante Yeast, cleared on July 19, 2020. Bulk aged 8/9/2020 with 1 TSP of Tannin Estate. Heat sensor in ferment room was stuck wide open and temperature was over 100 degrees. No idea how long. I hope the flavor isn’t affected.
MM Rojo Grande, Started 6/22/2020, pitched VRB Yeast, TBS tannin Riche, cleared 7/19/2020, Bulk aged 8/9/2020 with 1 TSP of Tannin Estate. Heat sensor in ferment room was stuck wide open and temperature was over 100 degrees. No idea how long. I hope the flavor isn’t affected.
MM Sicilian Primitivo, Started 6/22/2020, pitched Avante Yeast, TBS tannin Riche, nutrients added, cleared 7/19/2020, Bulk aged 8/9/2020 with 1 TSP of Tannin Estate. Heat sensor in ferment room was stuck wide open and temperature was over 100 degrees. No idea how long. I hope the flavor isn’t affected.
MM South African Pinotage, Started 6/22/2020, pitched Avante Yeast, TBS tannin Riche, nutrients added, cleared 7/19,2020, Bulk aged 8/9/2020 with 1 TSP of Tannin Estate. Heat sensor in ferment room was stuck wide open and temperature was over 100 degrees. No idea how long. I hope the flavor isn’t affected.
MM Amorosso, Started 6/22/2020, pitched Avante Yeast, cleared 7/19/2020, Bulk aged 8/9/2020 with 1 TSP of Tannin Estate. Heat sensor in ferment room was stuck wide open and temperature was over 100 degrees. No idea how long. I hope the flavor isn’t affected.

The wine stayed cloudy throughout and all five were drinkable but tasted “off” and were individually indistinguishable as to the variety or style. In other words, they all tasted the exact same. So, back to the ground…

Last edited:
Omg!!!! I know we can’t discuss this much here but as a thought, maybe it would have made a good Brandy….. lots of good ETH in those barrels…. Lots hope there is NOT a next time, but just in case maybe find and make friends with a local distiller who can run it for you. Use the Brandy for ports (or other things)

Wow those were all Meglioli kits!

Could you have made sangria at least out of them?
Sangria? Maybe. It was cloudy in the glass and didn’t taste good - at least not as expected.

I’m bummed as I was really going to enjoy that wine.

It’s part of the journey!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back