Mosti Mondiale MM All Juice Petite Syrah

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibglowin

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Started this one last night. Picked up while it was on sale this month with all the rest of the AJ's

Haven't made an AJ in quite awhile, was nice to just transfer to Primary and pretty much go! I added one of the CC Syrah Grape Packs that George has for sale. Going for the extra OMG in mouth feel on this one for sure. I want a nice big, fat, chewy, meal in itself Petite Syrah......

One interesting note in that after stirring the heck out of that grape pack ths starting SG was 1.102. I was hoping for a little more but I didn't take a measurement before adding the Grape Pack in so can't really say how much the SG was bumped by adding it in. 9 months old juice. Kit came with only 30 grams of French Oak chips. This one will do a rotation in the Vadai as well.

20100928_152638_DSC02762.jpg

12 hours post yeast pitch

20100928_152653_DSC02759.jpg

20100928_152711_DSC02760.jpg

Looking good.

Will post more updates as they become available!

Can wait to hear how this turns out. I'm going to order the new AJ OV cab w/ grape pack tomorrow.

Can you post back when you get it as to what the label says as far as "country of origin" for the juice?
smiley25.gif

Cassie, having done a grape pack (MM Meglioli OVZ) I recommend a 10 gallon primary. Adding the grape pack took the level in my 7.9 gallon primary to within 1" of the top. It didn't boil over, but it was close.

I am in a 7.9 and you can see how close to the top we are. I have had the cap "kiss" the lid on occasion but never once boil over. I am in a cooler clime than a lot of folks and watch my temps closely. After 72 hours things have usually settled down to a nice slow moving freight train so to speak. Not much to worry about after that. A 10 gallon would be nice.

What temperature do you keep your wine making area, Mike? Mine is 68' to 70' and I still get must temps around 77'.
smiley3.gif

Mike- I'll let you know the origin when it gets here. I just ordered it. Sad thing is I can't make it til I bottle 1 of my other wines in Nov. My husband thinks 4 wines bulk aging at 1 time is enough. He just doesn't get it!! ;)

Ha ha, thats a funny one! No less than 10 are required!

@ V1rotate: temps in the winery are ~ 66-67 these days. I check on things in the AM, lunch time, after work and just before I hit the sack when I have something in Primary. I will either add a little heat if necessary or cool things down if needed but things in Primary pretty much stay in the 72-76 range. My Rosso Fortissimo hit 78 last week for a day but I punched it back down, removed my heavy towel around the Primary and it cooled down after a day or so to 74, then 72 then it was back to heat belt on, heat belt off to keep it at 72. Yeast are really happy at 72-74 it seems.

CassieV said:
Mike- I'll let you know the origin when it gets here. I just ordered it. Sad thing is I can't make it til I bottle 1 of my other wines in Nov. My husband thinks 4 wines bulk aging at 1 time is enough. He just doesn't get it!! ;)

Your husband and my wife! Mine can't understand why I would ever make a second kit before I have drank the first one! She just doesn't get it, either!!!
smiley18.gif

Mike- I got the Alljuice OV cab in today. The juice country of origin is USA. The grapepack box says from California. This kit as a pretty big grapepack. It says it's 4Kg. Really looking forward to see how this 1 turns out. It's my 1st all juice kit.

Is this a Masters Kit or do the All juice buckets contain grape packs now also?

My Petite Syrah was a regular MM AJ kit that I added a CC Syrah Grape Pack to.

CassieV has just picked up a MM AJ "Masters" kit if I am not mistaken

Transfered to secondary late yesterday. 7 days in primary on the grape pack and look what I get out of it!

20101005_155504_DSC02767.jpg

Almost a full extra bottle. Not sure if I have more solids that filled up the carboy faster than usual or what but I had to grab a couple of splits as there was no way I was tossing anything. Will let things settle down for a few days and then see if I can get rid of some gross lees and combine back into one container then. It was an AJ so the only water added was for the bentonite. it was a pretty normal looking grape pack from CC.

Maybe my carboy shrunk!

That extra may be due to that huge CC grape pack. Still, after siphoning off of the gross lees, that is a lot extra!
Did it rain in on your fermentor bucket?
smiley8.gif

Looking at this make my mouth water. 5 o'clock is coming!!!

Bottled this bad boy finally a few weeks ago. To recap, added in a CC Syrah grape pack and it spent 4 months in the Vadai barrel. When it came out of the Vadai it tasted good enough to drink right then and there. Spent a few more months back in Carboy to settle a little more of the dust fines from the grape pack. Had to add a pretty good shot of Sulfite after the barrel to bring it back up to ~25ppm free.

Now we wait.........

20110614_114931_DSC02974.JPG

Latest posts

Back