Mlf

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Droc

Reaction score
I've read a lot on here about MLF with grapes. Just for my general knowledge since I don't plan on any more fresh fruit wines for a couple months, is there any other fruits that benefit from MLF or is it just grapes?

I believe that apples are loaded with Malic acid, however, I don't think that I've heard many people say that they put their cider or apple wine through MLF.

My apple wine spontaneously started MLF this year so I let it finish. I have to say I am pleased with the results. It had pretty harsh acids before and now it is much smoother and softer on the palate.

I have done a number of apple wines with mlf as it does smooth it out a lot. I have heard some guys do blackberry with mlf also but I have never done that.

I actually have a cider (with pear) fermenting right now. If I would put this through MLF, does it add to how long I have to age it. I was hoping to drink this by the summer, but I'm willing to wait if it makes it better.

Droc, just keep in mind that if you put the cider through MLF and you plan on back sweetening the cider, you won't be able to use sorbate, you'll be making a sparkling cider. This is how I prefer my ciders, so this would be very appealing if it were mine.

My apple wine spontaneously started MLF this year so I let it finish. I have to say I am pleased with the results. It had pretty harsh acids before and now it is much smoother and softer on the palate.

I have done a number of apple wines with mlf as it does smooth it out a lot. I have heard some guys do blackberry with mlf also but I have never done that.

My first MLF was a spontaneous MLF on my Apple-Pear wine last year... Gotta say, I'll be doing all my apple wines that way (not spontaneous, but MLF'd), after just opening a bottle this past Sunday for the Hawks game. Came out slightly carbonated; has me a bit worried.. Not sure why, it's crystal clear, no sediment, vacuum degassed..

I have some Blackberry-Riesling, Blackberry-Cherry & Blackberry Mead; I'll be attempting MLF on all three, will have the outcome posted in my 'Journal'.. Should be fun.

I actually have a cider (with pear) fermenting right now. If I would put this through MLF, does it add to how long I have to age it. I was hoping to drink this by the summer, but I'm willing to wait if it makes it better.

Last years batch is wonderful now, but I'm sure it'll get better with some more age. I'd shoot for next Thanksgiving / Christmas..

Luckily I have a couple days until my ciders done in the primary to figure it out. I'm not a fan of sparkling wines in general, so I guess I'd be stuck with a dry cider, which should be good for me since I like drier wines. There is entirely to many choices to be made making wines!

Apple wine or cider can become very flabby or even buttery when put through mlf. A better choice if you have very acidic fruit is to use a malic consuming yeast that will remove a portion of the malic , softening the cirdre or wine without ripping out its acid backbone.

71b or Marvin B are malic consuming yeasts that will reduce malic by 10 and 50% respectively.

Personally I don't see a need to cut acid levels in cidre and would sulphite at crush and ageing to prevent it but that's my choice .

My ferment went a little faster than I thought so I'm going to skip the MLF on it this time. I tasted it today and it is tastes pretty dry at a sg of 1.020, so I'm interested to see how much of the fruit comes back out after some aging. I'm going to give it until tomorrow and then rack into secondary and let it finish there. Probably add some more cranberry in 30 days or so along with a hard maple stave for a week or so.

Latest posts

Back