Mlf

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesnow

Reaction score
Its my first time doing an MLF. need some advice if this procedure is ok.
for 30 gallons of wine.

Rack off the gross lees from secondary.
Make sure wine temperature is within 70-75F

1. Check wine SO2 is below 20ppm
2. adding 4.54 gram of nutrition (Leucofood) into 30 Gallon wine, mix well.
3. (MBR31, instructions 2.5HL for 66 gallons) that would mean I use 1.14grams MBR31 for 30 gallons.
4. Rehydrate instructions MBR31 20 times its weight of water would need (22.8 grams of water) wait 15 minutes and pour into 30 gallon wine. Mix well.
5. Place air lock
6. stir wine gentility ever 2 days. (do i need to do this?)
7. After 15 days do Accuvin malic test (do I add more nutrient? )
8. another 15 days later do another Malic test.

9. If MLF is over wait another 7days, then rack over and protect wine to 30ppm.

I think that is really close to what I have done in the past. I add the opti-malo to the rehydrate water. Just to let it start helping things out sooner.
I only stir once or twice a week, not every two days. I figure don't open it up any more than I have to. I don't add extra nutrient when stirring. I have never read that it is required.
And finally, I don't even bother thinking about checking if it has completed for a month.

Last edited:
Yes, stir it ever few days. I don't see anything about temps but keep it warm, 68-73 F. I wouldn't bother with a test at 15 days unless you can see tons of tiny pin prick bubbles coming up the side of the carboy or demijohn assuming your using glass. Test at 30 days.

Question? pouch MBR31
Once the pouch is opened it seems that i can't really reseal the rest till next year. what would happen if I use all of the pouch (MBR31, 2.5HL for 66 gallons) into 30 gallons of wine. Also what would happen if i add all 10 grams nutrition (Leucofood) into 30 Gallons of wine. Would this harm the wine?, or would it only increase the speed of the MLF, shorting the time to complete the MLF.

Thanks

Not an expert in this area but what I have read adding more bacteria then required will not hurt.... Just a waste. Adding too much nutrient.... Not recommended. I would not use all the bacteria but why not add a little more to be sure since you have it. I dont think once opened it stores well at all....

Question on MLF, when I started the SO2 was at 14 ppm. I'm now in my second week. I planning to check the SO2 again to see if it isn't to low. My question is.. what if its to low, if I need to increase the SO2, how high should I bring it.. without harming the MLF.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back