Quantcast

MLF Stuck

Wine Making Talk

Help Support Wine Making Talk:

cuz

Reaction score
I pitched a sangiovese juice 2 months ago (11/19) I co-inoculated with white labs wlp675. I used actimalo, optimalo and fermaid K. I have had it in 70-75 degrees for about 2 months. The accuvin strip test read not there yet

Should I add more fermaid K? (I read too much nutrients can be detrimental).

Leave it in the warm temp.? or take it out and just let it age in a carboy?

Or are the strips not accurate?

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
Fermaid k won't help mlf finish. The strips are fairly accurate. 2 months isn't all that long. I would let it go for at least another month or two. Keep it topped up and don't worry. It's all good. Of and many folks have problems with that wyeast mlbacteria.

cuz

Reaction score
Does MLF need to be warm in order to complete. I didn't rack yet? Should I just let it sit in 70 degrees or rack it and place it with other carboys bulk aging in the cool basement?

cmason1957

CRS Sufferer
WMT Supporter
Reaction score
O'Fallon, MO - Just NorthWest of St. Louis, MO
Keeping it warmer will help it finish sooner. That said, I do all mine down in my basement, it is about 62 down there now. It will finish, but you can add at least a month to the time. But don't worry, if it is topped up, all is good. I have had some take four or five months, they were great wines.

cuz

Reaction score
Ok- My basement is about the same 62. I made a small heated room with 2X4 ceiling tiles taped together. It's about 70-75 in there. I'll keep it there until the blotter test is white.