MLF recommendations

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

countygrapeguy

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm making Chardonnay for the first time, and am looking for options on malolactic fermentation. I know it's commonly done in California Chards, but I'm in a cool climate and a lot of locals I know like to retain acidity. The question is, how much acid is too much?

Here's some numbers :

SG: 0.994
PH: 2.53
TA: 0.7%

Maybe my measuring methods are off a bit, but that seems like rather high acidity. However, tasting the wine it doesn't seem overly acidic. Overall it's somewhat pleasant, just not very complex in flavours (I'm assuming aging will help with that). Anyways, just wondering if anyone has thoughts on this.

That's an incredibly low pH - especially considering the TA. TA is within reason, so I'd go by taste at this point. How old is the wine? Even if you wanted to to MLF, you're going to have a hard time if that pH is accurate.

Update: the PH tester refuses to calibrate and is measuring the ph 6.86 buffer solution at 5.9, and the 4.0 buffet solution @3.3 so I’m guessing that 2.53 reading I got earlier is likely around 3.0-3.2 in reality

Today I learned that ph meters need calibration

Update: the PH tester refuses to calibrate and is measuring the ph 6.86 buffer solution at 5.9, and the 4.0 buffet solution @3.3 so I’m guessing that 2.53 reading I got earlier is likely around 3.0-3.2 in reality

Today I learned that ph meters need calibration

So that makes both your pH and TA off, assuming you used the meter to get to 8.2 in the TA titration. Go ahead and calibrate your meter and rerun the tests, it’s simple if you have the buffer solutions, just make sure they’re fresh.

I just used it for the PH, I measured TA with an indicator solution.

Anyways the meter won’t calibrate for some reason, it’s about a year old so perhaps it’s past it’s best before date

If you let the bulb dry out you may need to soak it for some time in potassium chloride solution or you may need a new one. Check with your manufacturer to see if they have a recommended storage protocol.

Cheers!
-johann

Back