MLF don't knows...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StevenD55

Reaction score
I'm trying to understand this topic better. I read up on malolactic fermentation for dummies. It generated as many questions as answers.

Questions I have and are pertinent now include:

1. Can one tell if MLF has begun on its own? If so, how, SG readings or something else?

2. If so, should it be stopped to add the correct bacteria, if it is even desired.

3. What is the best way to stop it?

4. I've read where MLF is not always desirable for fruit wines because it may lose its fruity flavor. Thoughts?

5. It's not necessarily desirable in white wines. If true, what about rose' wines?

6. When deciding to process wine further by MLF, is the best way to decide by TA and ph? Besides experience, what other triggers are there?

Thanks in advance.

Sincerely

The Malolactically Challenged.

Hi Steven

one thing most folks miss is that if your wine has any citric acid in it,then MLF should NOT be done at all. Citric acid is basically converted to vinegar by MLF. So if you added any acid blend, or threw in any fruit that had citric acid don't even think about MLF.

Pam in cinti

I've asked a veteran winemaker about the value of MLF and my question was answered in simple terms. Everyone's palate being different, so goes the sense of acidity. Some wines carry more Malic Acid than others and the effect of an MLF may be more noticeable to some than others. You may notice that the process is seldom mentioned in basic winemaking instructions. Since MOST wine juices destined for bulk/bucket sales are stabilized (TA and ph values adjusted to be within an acceptable range), the end product will also be within acceptable standards. As one who uses juice buckets and an occasional kit I've been satisfied with my end results and have never entered the MLF process into my routine. I view it as a step similar to oaking. While not absolutely necessary, there may be benefit for some wines, typically Reds. For your own taste,, I'd suggest experimenting!! :dg
http://winemakersacademy.com/?s=MLF

Last edited:
Steven, I'm a total novice at MLF's.but I did 2 this year. One on a juice bucket & one on real Cab Sav grapes. Added the enz & special additives, it went into MLF. I have no test equipment for it, do have a Vinmetric 300, but that doesn't help me. Stirred each week & tasted. Finally after 8 weeks, racked & stabilized. So far it seems ok. Only time will tell. Can keep U posted. Roy

Thanks all.

I guess I'm still curios as to how to stop MLF if it's started on its own and since I don't know if it's The right thing to do for this variety. It's for a Pinot Grigio batch. Truth is though that I really don't know if it's started or not. But it's still bubbling after 5 weeks.

Is this a kit or juice bucket or from grapes? What is your current sg? And temp?

More than likely, it is just CO2 coming off. Mlf dies give off CO2, but I had free never had it give off enough to really get bubbles coming out of the airlock. It is a very slight, compared to alcoholic reaction.

SO2 can be used to hold mlf in check.

Good to know.

It was from grapes.

The temp is 60 to 63.

The SG when I racked and pressed was just under 1.02. That was 3 weeks ago or so.

Since bubbles are visible, perhaps it is still fermenting slowly.

In order to know if you're approaching the finish point, you need to test either by the Accuvin test kit or chromatography test. We prefer chromatography as it's more definitive than the Accuvin.

In order to know if you're approaching the finish point, you need to test either by the Accuvin test kit or chromatography test. We prefer chromatography as it's more definitive than the Accuvin.

Thanks Turock,

Being that it's a Pinto Grigio, is MLF really recommended for that wine? The grapes were pretty ripe and so it does have some color. But, from what I read, MLF is more for red wines, or am I missing something?

I agree, I would not intentionally subject a Pinot Grigio to MLF. I agree with cmason and with you that it is likely just degassing and/or fermenting.

When was the last time you checked SG? What is your sulfite situation? As cmason pointed out, sulfite will inhibit MLF.

When was the last time you checked SG? What is your sulfite situation? As cmason pointed out, sulfite will inhibit MLF.

I haven't checked SG since I racked and pressed it last about 3 weeks ago. I was going to check it again but since it's most likely still undergoing yeast fermentation, I think I will check it again after the bubbling subsides a little more. I guess it's on a slow boil being that I'm keeping at a pretty low temperature. As to SO2, I haven't added anything to the must since the initial dosage of bisulfite at the beginning of fermentation.

Thanks.

Back