MLF and Juice Buckets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning everyone, this is the result of my first attempt at MLF started on September 29th. I used Wyeast 4007 in the Merlot and CH 16 in the Cabernet Sauvignon and Petite Sirah. I thought the Merlot was not going anywhere because I was noticing some tiny little bubbles in the others and none in the Merlot. Then all of a sudden I started to notice some tiny bubbles in the Merlot last week. I've heard that it's hard to get a MLF with Merlot and Wyeast 4007, but now I see this result on the paper. What do you suggest I do next, wait another week for the Merlot and then add sulfites to it? and how long a wait until I retest the other two wines which obviously are still going. Thanks in advance.20191027_083142.jpg

I would wait at least two more weeks on the Merlot and another month before retesting the others. The Merlot still has a little bit of a malic acid showing. Are you stirring the wines gently, once or twice a week.
Thank you, that's what I was thinking of doing. I've only stirred twice in a month period. I'm afraid of air exposure, but I'll give them another stir today.

@Mario Dinis well after all of the negative publicity for Wyeast 4007 at least you've got a positive result, on Merlot no less. Do you know the pH of your wines? CH16 has been extremely reliable here, even with sequential inoculation it has finished in less than 30 days, the only time it took longer was with wine at 3.3 pH.

@Mario Dinis well after all of the negative publicity for Wyeast 4007 at least you've got a positive result, on Merlot no less. Do you know the pH of your wines? CH16 has been extremely reliable here, even with sequential inoculation it has finished in less than 30 days, the only time it took longer was with wine at 3.3 pH.
I'll be honest, I don't know the Ph at this point. I bought the buckets of juice and I didn't have a Ph meter at the time.

Good morning. These two tests are two weeks apart. It seems that my merlot is done, but I don't notice any development in the cab sav and petite sirah. Can anyone give me an opinion here?
Thanks 2019-11-10 09.21.36.jpg 2019-11-10 09.22.30.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving every one. Those of you that use or have used CH 16 for MLF, what is the average time it takes to complete MLF? I have a Cabernet Sauvignon and Petite Sirah inoculated with it since September 29th and it's still going like half and half.

Happy Thanksgiving every one. Those of you that use or have used CH 16 for MLF, what is the average time it takes to complete MLF? I have a Cabernet Sauvignon and Petite Sirah inoculated with it since September 29th and it's still going like half and half.
No matter what bacteria you add, mlf takes as long as it takes. 3-4 months maybe longer. Don't worry, keep that wine topped up, don't open it often.

No matter what bacteria you add, mlf takes as long as it takes. 3-4 months maybe longer. Don't worry, keep that wine topped up, don't open it often.
I do notice a little improvement, but it's going slower than the Wyeast 4007. It's been two months already and still looks like halfway through. I did post pictures of the chromatograpy tests. Thanks for the reply.

This might sound as an unnecessary question, but at this time of the year, how much influence has temperature in the progress of MLF? My basement is about 60 degrees F.

Indeed the moving of the carboys to a warmer spot in the basement and off the floor (on top of 3/4" foam board) helped. Tiny bubbles all over. Temperature around 71. Is stirring still required twice a week?

Indeed the moving of the carboys to a warmer spot in the basement and off the floor (on top of 3/4" foam board) helped. Tiny bubbles all over. Temperature around 71. Is stirring still required twice a week?

I often get lazy and only stir once every 2 weeks. I'm not sure what the recommended time frame is.

I often get lazy and only stir once every 2 weeks. I'm not sure what the recommended time frame is.
Thank you. I keep reading twice a week. If by any chance after the MLF is completed and the wine is on the flat side, how can I revive it a little with acid and which kind? I assume it would be Tartaric, am I correct?

Back