Mixing Elderberry fruit and juice ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WineYooper

Reaction score
Picked Elderberry for the first time at my neighbors and got only 5# after cleaning. I know fresh may be best but for the time and effort put in, it was too much hassle for me compared to Vintners 96 oz can. So now I'm debating how to bring these two together. Should I make a batch with the juice and use the fruit for an f-pack? Or throw the juice and berries together in the primary? Of course in a mesh bag. I am thinking I may combine in the primary.
Anybody done either or both?

I've made elderberry from both fresh and also from the vinters base. IMHO, nothing beats fresh. I picked 83 lbs this year and have 12 gallons going now. If it were me, I would add the berries to the base. It will only increase the flavor. I made a 5 gallon batch from the base. Everyone pretty much recommends the 3 gallon recipe for a more full flavor - full body wine.

Good luck abd beware of the green goo.

I've made elderberry from both fresh and also from the vinters base. IMHO, nothing beats fresh. I picked 83 lbs this year and have 12 gallons going now. If it were me, I would add the berries to the base. It will only increase the flavor. I made a 5 gallon batch from the base. Everyone pretty much recommends the 3 gallon recipe for a more full flavor - full body wine.

Good luck abd beware of the green goo.

The information is very interesting. It is new knowledge for me.

A year ago I had made a five gallon batch from the base and am impressed with the taste of elderberry, my first which is driving me to do more. I'm going to check next door to see if I can get some more fresh but they may be gone now, the birds were enjoying them when I was picking. I think I will combine both and make another five gallon batch. Someday I will try a 3 gallon with the base to see the difference. The batch of Blackberry I had made from the base was 5 gal as well and still bulk aging and looks pretty light in color and I expect weak in taste. Next time it will be a 3 gal batch.

Add a gallon of the blackberry base to your elderberry base and fresh berries, I would never make a 5 gallon from a can of VH, no more than 3 for can if you want taste and body. Another really good combo is to add a can of their plum base to your elderberry, that makes a very interesting wine. Crackedcork

FWIW, dried elderberries are quite reasonable in price (1lb/organic for $10.40 at www.morethanalive.com) and make for quite a nice wine/mead when you do not have access to fresh.

Back