WineXpert Mixed results

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slingshot

Reaction score
I've made 4 WE kits so far. My first was the selection original Barolo. I bottled it on Feb. 2, 2007. Of course being my firstwine, I began drinking it right away. It's now 4 months old and I only have 6 bottles left. I decided to buy a commecial wine to compare it to. I got a $20 bottle of Pinot Nior imported from Italy. It taste almost the same as my "still way too young" Barolo. I'm not putting down the commercial wine, I really like them both, I'm just real happy mine taste just as good. Now my Vinters reserve Riesling on the other hand smells like feet and gives me hart burn. My VR World Vineyard Pinot Grigio is a little better but still a little off. And all the ladies love my IM Raspberry Merlot. It's a little sweet but Ireally likeit.I have a Selection Original Pinot Nior that I just stabilized Friday and today I started a MM Fantazia cherry. This hobby is alot off fun, Cheers everyone.

Sounds like you really enjoy the fruits of your labor
smiley4.gif
Keep it up.

Well you started off with a 15 l. kit which will obviously taste better
than the 7.5 l. kit which you did 2nd. Then you followed it with a 10
l. kit which will be better than the 7.5 kit. The #'s say it all. An
all juice kit is ready for your making to top them all off!
smiley20.gif

Edited by: wade

When did you bottle the other batches? Our first "born"was a VR Pinot Noir bottled on March 2nd. We've been trying them every month since "birth". Month 1 was rough - yeah, I could match it to feet or perhaps spoiled grapejuice, but month 2 showed some improvement. It tasted much better, but still had that smell. On the 3rd month the bad smells has started to drop off, so I'm hoping it will continue toimprove to the 6th month mark.

All of our otherkits have been Selection Estates and did not have the same smell the Vintners Reserve did. We just bottled a Selection Estate YamhillPinot Gris today and my wife had the carboyleft-overs (about 2 glasses) with dinner. Smooth and easy to drink after bulk aging for 45 days. I can wait to see what that one will be like in 5 months.

As a suggestion, you may want to let the bottles breathe for a half hour or so and see if it improves, but either way, don't lose hope until it's been in the bottle for 6 months.

GrapeApe.

The white wines were bottled in March. They are still way too young. I'm almost as new to wine drinking as I am wine making.So I'm still learning what I like. I findthat the more wines I try,Ilike the red winesthe most. My friends tell me they like all the wines I make. Even ifthey are just being kind, I dowatch them finish the bottle, wobbleand smile just like I do.
smiley36.gif

I started making kits a year and a half ago, so some of my kit winesare over 1 year aged now. I squirreled a few of each away, they difinetley improve a lot in that time. The only VR I have done over again is the Mezza Luna red, good body and mouthfeel, it's more likethe bigger red kits.
Dave

Something to think about is adding some oak to your Red Wines...I think it really helps the lower end kits....I add 1 1/2 ozs. to 6 gal. and start checking at 8 weeks...Usually about 12 weeks for my taste is enough....Just something to think about....Good Luck and have fun..
smiley4.gif

wade said:
Well you started off with a 15 l. kit which will obviously taste better than the 7.5 l. kit which you did 2nd. Then you followed it with a 10 l. kit which will be better than the 7.5 kit. The #'s say it all. An all juice kit is ready for your making to top them all off!
smiley20.gif

Have to agree with Wade on this one... The more juice it seems the better the end result ..I now will only use the bigger kits..More expensive true but way better in the end..

I have recently stabilized my second ever wine (Selections Chardonnay/Semillon).

My first wine was a Selections Merlot. It's only 3 1/2 months since stabilizing and 1 1/2 month in bottle. Tastes pretty good, except that since I did not degass very well, the bubbles bring a bit of a yeasty smell and taste. I let it sit out for an hour, helps, but does not rid it completely.

I think I did a better job at degassing the second wine, but I won't know until after it is bottled.I might purchase a Vacu-vin to help. Can I use the vacu-vin on a wine that has been sitting in the carboy for a month? I don't see why not, but I'm no expert.

The degassing is the only part of the wine making process that has me worried. No one wants to drink a bubbly cabernet.

It can be degassed at any time EXCEPT during the clearing stage. What I
mean by this is right when you add the clearifier as you want the
sediment to settle to the bottom and not be pulled to the top like I
did once. The best time obviosly is before you add the clearifier as it will dramatically help in clearing it.

Edited by: wade

If you have a fizzy bottle, after you opent the bottle, put your thumb over the opening and shake it good for 5-15 seconds. Then let it sit. The shaking will speed the de-gassing and make the wine ready to drink much faster.

wade said:
It can be degassed at any time EXCEPT during the clearing stage. What I
mean by this is right when you add the clearifier as you want the
sediment to settle to the bottom and not be pulled to the top like I
did once. The best time obviosly is before you add the clearifier as it will dramatically help in clearing it.

The Winexpert instructions say to mix prior to adding the k-meta and
sorbate and to mix after adding the clarifier.
http://www.winexpert.com/answerbox/files/Original_Intl_Eng.pdf

i am not sure what you mean above by saying not to degass right after I add the clarifier?

I was just stating the obvious as to to let the clearifier do its work once you stir it in.

wade said:
I was just stating the obvious as to to let the clearifier do its work once you stir it in.

gotcha :)

Another thing though, currently my wine is being stored in my basement (about 64 degrees). If I am going to use the vacu-vin, should I bring the wine upstairs for a few days to get the temp toward 75 degrees, degass with vacu-vin and then bring back to cellar? Or would this sudden temperature change harm the wine more than I'm helping it?

I have found that the temperature being right around 75 degrees, does help the degassing process alot!!! But, I also want to hear what the experts think about the temperature change though???

Degassing is best done at 75* and clearing is easier at cooler temps like say mid 60'sor lower.

The temperature change is not a problem. The change in temperature (within a reasonable margin) has no effect on the wine. The problem is with long-term storage with fluctuating temperature. Each cooling cycle creates reduced pressure in the bottle, resulting in small amounts of air diffusing through the cork. Over time the wine oxidizes.

For a twenty year old burgundy poor storage is a problem. For wines we will consume within 2-3 years of production, like ours, the standard HVAC conditions in our homes are acceptable.

Edited by: PeterZ

George is correct about that You never know if you got it all
gas that is at bottling. And if you do that and let the bottle
breath it will tast better. PS if it is a 7.5 ltr kit shrink it to a 5
gal carbouy for little more favor. and Yes you 2.50 bottle of wine will
be close to the 20 bottle The ppl I give wine to are amazed at what it
how good it tastes. I have had only one complaint in 3.5 years of
making this stuff. and The bottle was opened and left at a friends
house dont know all the history before the person tasted it. But I
opend the bottle and drank almost half of it and it was originally
fine. Most ppl like me dont know what a 20 dollar bottle of wine
tastes like Cuz I like my own. Welcome to the best hobby out side