Mix Sorbate with Topping Wine?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just-a-Guy

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I am about to rack and add some commercial wine to top up - small amounts (a cup or two). And I need to stabilize for backsweetening. What do you think of the idea of putting the sorbate in the topping up wine, so I don't have to use any water to dissolve it?

Mark

did you add sorbate to your home made wine? If so IMHO I would not add any to store bought wine. They add enough so their wine will have a long shelf life.

Assuming you've not already added the sorbate you normally would for your batch there should be no problem. Personally I'd just add the sorbate directly into the racked batch - no water - stir and then add the top off wine.

Right - the situation is, I have not yet added sorbate. bkisel - any particular reason you would just add it in as powder and stir before adding the top-up wine, as opposed to mixing it in with the top-up wine?

Thanks,

Mark

Sorbate is not dissolvable in wine. Always use a small amount of water to disslove it.

Sorbate is not dissolvable in wine. Always use a small amount of water to disslove it.

I just ran the experiment. This is very much NOT true. I poured half a packet of potassium sorbate into about 1/3 of a glass of wine. I had a spoon at the ready to agitate it. No need! It very actively dissolved into the wine. I poured the second half of the sorbate into the same glass -- it disappeared just as quickly. There was no residue at the bottom: zip, zilch, nada.

@Just-a-Guy, It certainly appears to me that you may dissolve your sorbate in your topping wine.

I agree with Sour_Grapes, I never disolve mine in water, I either add it to the carboy before racking or I take some wine out and stir it in that and add it back, never had an issue

Right - the situation is, I have not yet added sorbate. bkisel - any particular reason you would just add it in as powder and stir before adding the top-up wine, as opposed to mixing it in with the top-up wine?

Thanks,

Mark

Yes, you might, for arguments sake, add the sorbate to 50 liters of top off wine and then find you only need 30 liters to top off.

BTW, I've always added directly to my wine and stirred - as per every kit and every recipe I've done - without any issues. Wouldn't hurt to dissolve in water first ifin that's what you want to do.

I ended up drawing out some wine (figured I'd check SG anyway), and dissolving the sorbate in that. Then pouring it into the receving carboy and racking onto it. 1/2 tsp per gallon. Thanks for all the help, much appreciated!

Mark

Latest posts

Back