MISTAKES

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

Joe:

Mistake #1: Remember the White Zin I told you about? The one that came out amber instead of rose in color and has this really bitter after taste to it? The one I couldn't figure out why it came out that way being as I followed the direstions (save the note taking part anyway) to the letter?

Well. It just nowdawned on me, after puzzling over this for months. I bought that kit June, 2006 as a birthday gift for my sweety, closeted it and finally opened it and made it August 2007. Hmmmmm. Guess shelf life of the juice really does play a part in the healthy creation of wine.

Mistake #2: Did you know Blackberry wine during fermentation, will respond violently to rapid agitation? I didn't. But I do now. Decided to buy a clever agitating device. A stainless & nylon stiring device that attached to your drill. Hmmmm. Hooked it up and dropped it in the 6gal. carboy and on the highest speed the drill operates on, gave it a couple quick bursts.
That was fine. The wine growled a bit and let up some really cool teeny tiny bubbles.
Then, enjoying the ease and resultsof this action,I gave it a couple more bursts of a little longer duration.
That really pissed him off and he commenced to frothing right up the neck and all over the carboy, the table and the floor. All the while I'm trying to hold my hand over the mouth of the bottle that the stirer is in and reach for anything that might slow the gush.
Won't do that again.

Two words come to mind - Wine Volcano

Just about everybody has one from time to time. Run your drill at a slower speed especially if it is a corded drill. They operate faster than cordless. I bet you won't try the hand over the hole trick again
smiley36.gif

smiley3.gif
I tend to have some mistakes too...

One that I have repeated several times....is I tend to not take enough wine out of the carboy when I add super-Kleer K-C....the spoon handle that I stir with can displace quite a lot of wine...
smiley3.gif

THAT'S IT!!!!!!

That's exactly like it!!! Except I have a DeWalt.
That's sooo cool!!!

Thanks Wade. I really needed that.
Marcy says "that's what we get for goin in too fast".

Happy Holidays to all.
Mike

I gotta tell you Wade.
Only a genious with a sense of humor would take the time to take a picture before cleaning it up and thinking about it afterward.
Wish I had.

Ive been there a few times and as you can see in the picture I left some out so this wouldnt happen but to no avail. I do this in stages no w and do most of my degassing with a mityvac vacuum bleeder and dont have this issue anymore.

De Gassing: Hmmmm. I've read a small amount on this procedure but I understand it even less.

Is this the carbondioxide that I've read that causes the undesirable carbonation taste I'm experiencing in my Blackberry?

If so. Can I reduce or rid my wine of it by stiring vigerously?

Mike

Degassing s best done at 75* as cooler temps make the wine hold on to its gases and that is 1 of the reasons Sparkling wine is degorged when almost frozen so you dont lose to much carbonation, the other reason is that you can dislodge the sediment in a frozen plug. CO2 is the reason your wine has a carbonated taste and his can be doe by stirring but the vacuum method does work better and also lets you know when its done by holding a vacuum and by seeing it with a dial indicator. this is the reason why i bought this as it gives me pce. of mid for $30.

WELL HANDYMAN454,every one is entittled to his or hers eruption occausionly,
smiley2.gif
but thats ,that learning curve we all go throw ,as you can tell by the replies and yes the smell of sulfer or off odor will go away or should
smiley36.gif
,but boy can it product pressure ,on the other hand how much did you lose
smiley19.gif
wasn't to much I hope,talk to you soon //jpEdited by: joeswine

Latest posts

Back