Missoula Vinyard

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I've read through the whole thread! Wow! Pretty awesome.

I was wondering if you'd recommend the nursery you bought the Pinot Noir vines from- I already forget their name, Desert Island, you mentioned them way back. I e-mailed them, I was hoping on getting them before Christmas or relatively soon after for a gift. I have thirty Merlot vines growing from seed as we speak to give away with some Sangiovese I'd love to buy from a nursery. Thanks!

Sorry I missed this -- Inland Desert is over in Benton, Washington - Tri-Cities area. I spoke with them a few weeks - maybe more - ago, because their website was down. The person I spoke with said it would be back up - but I don't know. I'd call them. I do like the vines and their service. I had to buy -- well -- didn't really "have to" buy -- but I bought 25 which was almost the same as buying the dozen or so I originally wanted. My climate is probably marginal for PN but some grow it in this part of the state - Flathead Lake mostly - but it's my backyard and I thought I'd give it a try. I think all in all, it was around $65-75 for the 25 vines including shipping -- and they were packed great. I'd recommend them!

Dave

Winter's Over?

Probably not! I'm sure there's more to come! BUT, it was up to 45* today, sun was shining, and while we had a snow "thunder" shower yesterday, it sure seemed like spring! So, time to prune!

Before and after....

DSC_0364.jpg

DSC_0365.jpg

Looking pretty good there Dave! We hit 60 all week while I was away on travel of course...... Snow storm headed in tonight but its looking like it time to prune down here as well.

Where's the snow Dave?

Snow?
I'm thinking about doubling down on Pinot Noir, Rich! I've always joked about the vines here in Montana, responding with - when people ask me why I'm growing grapes - "I'm trying to get ahead of global warming!" So, while it was 50* here today (upper 40's the last few days) there is no snow at this elevation, and not enough up high. But, the spring rains we'll get will produce snow up high, and I can still count on those freezing temps in late April and the first few days of May to try to get the new buds and leaves.

But, looking at all those nice PN canes on the ground made me pick up about 15 and they are in the furnace room right now, hopefully getting callused!

Bob looks like we are both perfectly positioned to capitalize on this! Should we wait a few years before we dig up our cold hardy hybrids and plant Cabernet Sauvignon? :)

Mike, I'm doubling down on the Pinot Noir first! A bunch of cuttings from my best "survivors" of the 25 PNs I planted 4-5 years ago are rooting away in the furnace room!

I hope we don't have to wait the full 40 years they say it will take...... We will both be too old to fully capitalize!

I read just last week the if the whole thing comes true, then the UK will become the new Champagne capitol of the world!

Freeze Warning!

It's funny... looking back I see that almost every year about this date I make a post about frost... and this day is no different! Luckily, unlike last year when we already had bud break, this year it's a little late... and a good thing - "Freeze Warning" according to the WxMan - down to 25* tonight, and 24* tomorrow night. SO, here on the margin of global warming we, once again, know why it's not so much the mid-WINTER temps that are as problematic as these dips in the spring, and again in the fall! :gb

What FUN!

Last edited:
"such weather!"

My Dad used to smile when he said that when it would act like winter in the spring. And, even before it can get to those low temp's (that I posted about just a little while ago...) we get a snow squall that leaves everything white... just in time for a nice blue-sky evening and a Disney-esque sunset! That means clear skies... and the cold temps forecast earlier. BUT, the snow cover should protect the buds and the flowers... And, as we say in Montana, "...it keeps out the riff-raff! :)"

DSC_0382.jpg

Last edited:
My sister moved out to Montana a year ago. She said her husband was outside cutting the grass a few days ago and all of a sudden that snow storm just came blowing in.

Finally - Bud Break!

Well, it's late - although "late" is relative to my experience of only a few years trying to grow grapes on the margin! But several days of high 70's and low 80's plus day-long bright sun (not to mention Montana's big, blue sky... wait - that's another topic...) have popped out the buds. Lots of swelling and some of these may have "broken" yesterday, but today it's official.
In order - the pictures below are Marachal Foch, Leon Millot, Edelweiss and Pinot Noir

DSC_0383.jpg

DSC_0387.jpg

DSC_0390.jpg

DSC_0391.jpg

I still can't believe your growing Pinot Noir in Montana!

I demand to see a DNA test! :)

Here hoping to no more cold fronts this Spring!

Update!

Got the bird netting up just in time last week - a couple of robins were hopping around looking... well, they were just looking, but too close for my liking!

The second picture is of Leon Millot - veraison last week. The Pinot Noir (third pic) are still green, although a few are getting a dab of purple here and there. They are most dependent on these long, hot days in September and even into October. Last picture - not that good I see - is of Marachal Foch - lots of fruit. In fact, I fear I haven't picked enough clusters earlier and may have too many per plant. But, that's how we learn!

I'm hoping for a good fall - picked up - literally - my new crusher-destemmer from George Corn just last Friday!

IMG_8726.jpg

IMG_8727.jpg

IMG_8728.jpg

IMG_8730.jpg

Latest posts

Back