Misjudged My Primary

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domw001

Junior
Reaction score
I waited a bit too long on my primary and have just transferred to secondary at 0.992 SG.

It looks like I have also taken a lot of the lees with it.

There isnt a lot of apparent fermentation going on, I've not had any bubbles thru the airlock yet, and to be honest I dont really expect any at this low SG reading.

I was thinking of leaving for a week or two then re-rack to filter most of the sediment then stabilise.

(My first attempt at this wine-making game and, boy, am I on a learning curve)

Does anyone have any views on this?

Last edited:
Keep checking it with a hydrometer, thats the only way to know for sure.

Agreed.... measuring with a Hydrometer is the only way to know for sure. Although at that low of a reading you are at or getting close to the end. Try not to expose to the air to much if possible.:ib

Do not try and filter this wine at this point or youll most likely clog the filter. Filters are designed to polish n already clear wine not to clear a wine. Only time and or fining agents will clear a wine.

I waited a bit too long on my primary and have just transferred to secondary at 0.992 SG.

What type of Wine is it ?

What Yeast strain did you use ?

What was the s.g. at the begining ?

How long did you leave it in the Primary ?

Hector

Sounds like it's going fine. Check the sg every day for 3 days. If not changes add sulfites and sorbate. Are you adding an F Pack?

Latest posts

Back