Mini Jet for transfer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jwhelan939

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used their mini jett as a transfer pump? I know that I can, but I am curious as to how long I can run it for. I know that when filtering you are supposed to do 5-10 gallons and then stop. Does this apply for transfering too? I need to transfer 18 gallons from one Variable tank to another. Any help would be great. Thanks!

that's a little much for a pump that small. It might get very hot during that time. If the wine is cool, it might be okay, but if it's room temp, you could burn out the pump if you did this over the long term. A single time will not be that bad though.

I would give it a go, just keep an eye on the temperature of the pump. I triple filtered 24 gallons Saturday with the Super Jet no problems. When we transfer with it there is very little heat build up, no back pressure so I think you will be fine.

Jeff

The Super Jet is a much bigger beast than the Mini Jet. Not really comparable, in my opinion.

Steve

I have a mini jet. You can use it to transfer just take out the short hose and reloace it with the overflow hose. It will take longer that way compare to the manual way. The hose ID is much smaller. If its because you dont or cant lift a carboy then thats the way to go. Figure 6-8 minutes.

The pump works fine against thee back pressure of filters thus it should have no difficulty whatsover in transferring provided the lift was not terribly high. A few feet would be readily achievable.

So instead I decided to pick up a used superjet. One word, wow. It makes racking and transfer so much easier!!!

Latest posts

Back