WineXpert Mezza Luna Red SG

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noontime

Custom Label Printing & Design
Reaction score
We started a Wine Expert Mezza Luna Red kit, and although the instructions say the SG won't get below 0.998, ours went completely dry to 0.992. Has anyone else seen this? I'm also curious how the kit is designed to stay at .998... are there un-fermentable sugars? If it's supposed to have a hint of sweetness, I was thinking of adding a bit of Zinfandel concentrate to bring the SG back up to the .998 mark. We're not worried about it, but just wondering if anyone has some insight. Thanks!

I did the big brother to this kit (Luna Rossa) sometime ago and my notes say it got down to 0.994. I wondered the same thing. We left it at that, there was no F-Pack provided with it. It was a very tasty dry red wine that we totally enjoyed. We have one bottle left that is probably 3 years old. Holding on to it for a special occasion. We had one about 6 months ago and loved it.

Last edited:
My Mezza Luna also went to a .992 We didn't sweeten at all and everyone thought it had pretty good taste and body. I'll be making this kit again.

Thanks guys, and good to hear LittleBear. I'm sure no matter what we do we'll have a very drinkable wine, but like Paul said... we're curious to how/why the mezza luna is called out specifically to not go below 0.998.

I am also doing that kit to tweak and mine also went to .992 so I'm glad you posted this. I had wondered if the dried currants I used caused that. Loks like despite what WE says, it's normal to go that low.

What are you doing to tweet the Mezza Luna Red Kit. I tweeted the white kit and it turned out very good

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I did a tweak on my white last fall too. It turned out great.
This one is getting a black currant and tannin tweak. I've posted the beginning of the process in the "thinking outside the box thread." Here: Mezza Luna Red tweak
I think if you go back to about september, you could find the white pictorial journal on that thread too. Lots of good info on that thread. Especially from Joeswine.

What tweak did you do to your white and what did you think of the outcome?

Thanks, I'm glad yours came out the way you wanted. I had plenty of help and inspiration from Joe on that.
I am down to about 5 bottles and trying very hard not to drink it again till the one year mark. I don't think I'm going to make it.

What was the end result of tweeking the Mezza Luna Red kit w black currents I hope well. I ordered my kit yesterday. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

Back