Mesh Sack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
I bought a nylon mesh sach at home depot to put my fruit in while in the must stage. When do I put it in the sack, from the beginning, after the campden and before the yeast, or after the yeast, or just when?
Thanks

Semper Fi

Later Bud

I put the mesh bag in from the get go. Add in the k-meta - 12 hours later add pectic and acid blend in and another 12 hours add in the yeast and yeast nutrient.

Some folks add in the k-meta and pectic at the same time - it does work better waiting from what i have read - i am not 100% sure if it will be fine adding in at the same time.

Last edited:
Pectic enzyme will not work in a sulfite environment nor in an active fermentation. P. E. will work in a warm must. That is why you sulfite your must. Wait at leat 12 hours, 24 better. Add pectic enzyme. Wait 12 better 24 hours then add your yeast.

Luc did experiments on this and you can read his blog if interested.

Another Question

Do Campden tablets die after 24 hours? I'm making 4 gallons of grape wine, do I add 4 campden tablets now as I will later when the wine is fermitted?

Semper Fi and Thanks for the help

Later Bud

I believe it just releases in gas form over time - that is why it has to be re-applied again.

Before using that Home Depot bag, clean it, rinse it well with a kmeta solution, then rinse with plain water before adding anything to it.

Back