Merlot to top off Sangiovese?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomMonger

Reaction score
Greetings!

Will using a good store bought Merlot be OK to use for topping off a carboy of Sangiovese? I like Chianti, so I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt.

Thanks,
-Tom in Scranton, PA USA

Merlot is always a good choice for topping off reds when one can't use the exact same variety. It has a somewhat neutral profile that won't change to taste of the whole batch.

If your willing to pay $10 you can find Santa Christina Sangiovese usually for about that price at the bigger wine shops around town and sometimes places like Costco as well. If your looking to spend less and have a Trader Joes nearby they will have lots of possibilities below $8. Merlot is always a good neutral top off wine like Robie said.

Along with the Merlot toss in a little Cabernet Savignon and you'll have a Super Tuscan blend. Not really, you'd only be adding 750ml or so to 23L, that's hardly enough to change much. I don't worry so much as to the variety of my red top up wines as I do the quality. I only top up with wines that I think are as good or better than what I am making. Some folks will disagree with me but I want my top up wine to enhance what I'm making. 75% of the time my top up wine is something I have made myself now. But IF I use commercial wine for top up it's pretty darn good wine that I would serve myself or friends.

I found a Sangiovese/Merlot blend that was relatively inexpensive. I think I'll use that to top off! Thanks for the advice!

-Tom in Scranton, PA USA

I see one of the 2013 Spagnols RQ's is a Sangiovese/Merlot blend so it looks like a Merlot top up is a good choice.

Back