Cellar Craft Merlot fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quntumleap

Junior
Reaction score
I started my first 10 liter Cellar Craft kit a Merlot with grape pack. I guess I misunderstood the directions and thought the wine needed to stay in the primary for 12 days instead of the normal 6-8 days before transferring to the secondary. So I now have racked to the secondary at day 12. The SG was 1.000. There is still a very small amount of bubbling in the air lock but not much. Is this OK or have I damaged this batch? If so should I leave it in the secondary past day 20 or clarify then if the SG is below 0.998 per the instructions.

Thanks

JOHN

Just follow the instructions as normal. Several folks, me included, leave the wine in the primary a little longer. I find that it makes degassing a bit easier. It will not even hurt you wine if you let it sit in the secondary longer. These kits are pretty forgiving. Thank goodness!
VPC

I also leave in primary longer when there is grape skins or fruit in there. Some RJ Spagnols kits have you do the entire fermentation in the bucket.

Latest posts

Back