WineXpert Merlot Clearing Help

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lerxstrulz

Junior
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a WE Washington Merlot (with skins) and according to the instructions it should have been clear and ready to bottle Mar 26. Today in June 12 and it's still not clear...not super cloudy, but enough that when I shine a light I can "see" the beam.

I have been reading where I can use Super Kleer or some other agent, or just wait...but I've also see posts where they waited a year without clearing.

Anyone have any tips here? Should I just wait and keep testing or use another clearing agent?

Also, the instructions say that if the wine is going to sit for a while I need to add sulfite, so should I do that now or wait until it's clear? Just don't want to lose this batch if I have to wait 6 months for it to clear...

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you!

P.S. Sorry the picture is not super clear but you can see the beam of light.

2015-06-12_09.41.11.jpeg

The first thing you want to confirm is that the wine is fully degased. In my experience, that is the single largest obstacle to successful clearing.

The first thing you want to confirm is that the wine is fully degased. In my experience, that is the single largest obstacle to successful clearing.

Ok...so how do I do that? I have the mixing attachment for my drill and used that to degas previously...do I just need to stir it again for a couple of minutes?

Thanks!

What temperature was the wine when you degassed it? Cool liquids hold on to CO2 longer than warm liquids.

Also I find that round-and-round stirring (like with a drill) does not degas as effectively as back-and-forth stirring with a paddle.

Steve

Can you let it sit around for 6 more months? Merlots, especially with skins, benefit from more time. Letting it sit in the carboy for the next 6 months (rack and add 1/4 tsp of k-meta every 3 months) will help it clear and degass naturally.

What temperature was the wine when you degassed it? Cool liquids hold on to CO2 longer than warm liquids.

Also I find that round-and-round stirring (like with a drill) does not degas as effectively as back-and-forth stirring with a paddle.

Steve

It's been sitting between 75 C and 77 C pretty consistently. I read on another post where the WE kits do not clear very well at colder temperatures, so I've been good there.

Well...the DVD that came with the kit said to use the attachment as it will degas better than hand stirring...but maybe they are just trying to sell more stuff ;)

I can try with the paddle...is there a way to visibly tell if the wine is degassed enough or not?

Thanks!

Can you let it sit around for 6 more months? Merlots, especially with skins, benefit from more time. Letting it sit in the carboy for the next 6 months (rack and add 1/4 tsp of k-meta every 3 months) will help it clear and degass naturally.

Patience is not one of my strong suits, but I have a feeling winemaking will give me a master class in patience ;)

I was thinking that I rack it and degas it, then add the k-meta like you suggested and let it sit and just keep checking it. I have read where some believe the clearing agents strip the wine of body...I have nothing but time...just wanted to make sure it didn't spoil in the process.

Thank you!

Do a rackover @every 3 months. Add K-meta per instructions after each. DO NOT CHECK IT!!!! IT WILL NEVER CLEAR THAT WAY :ft. Wine does it's thing better in secret. Besides, 6 months will go by quicker..

Back