Meritage from Chilean Juice

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruggierm1

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Haven't posted in awhile, but I have a question I'd like to pose to the membership. With the Chilean season approaching, my partner and I were thinking of making a Meritage blend from the juice. We just made a couple hundred bottles from the California crop back in September, and just wanted to do something for fun.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a blend? We were thinking a 40% Cab Sauv, 30% Malbec, and 30% Merlot, just to keep it simple.

Also, is this the kind of thing that one would oak? Any tips/tricks/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Definitely oak!

I like Cab franc and Petite Verdot, myself.

I made a 100% Carmenere last year and it won gold (at just 4 months of age). I was amazed at the color and body that the grape "brought to the table". I think that it makes a great addition to any blend.

Just wanted to ask an additional question. I went and bought a bottle of Cab Franc, Carmenere, and Malbec at the store. Would I be able to try some blending ratios with those finished wines?

Just wanted to ask an additional question. I went and bought a bottle of Cab Franc, Carmenere, and Malbec at the store. Would I be able to try some blending ratios with those finished wines?

Using them will give you a good idea about what general blend percentages you like.
However, the actual wines you are making will still need to be test blended on their own merit, as each batch of wine has different levels of acid/PH, and other characteristics.

Using them will give you a good idea about what general blend percentages you like.
However, the actual wines you are making will still need to be test blended on their own merit, as each batch of wine has different levels of acid/PH, and other characteristics.

That's good advice. Thanks.

Latest posts

Back