Memorial Day Feast

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
I broke from tradition this year for our Memorial Day feast and decided to do a shrimp boil in lieu of the traditioinal grilling.We deciced to have it Sunday since my daughter had to work today and It all began with some new potatoes, fresh corn on the cob, vidalia onions, lemons and of course shrimp, all boiled togrther in a large pot with A couple of packs of Zatarians shrimp boil. Everything but the shrimp was boiled first and when the corn and potatoes were done, the shrimp was added and cooking continued for another 2-3 minutes. Just untii them shrimps turned a nice pink color.

shjrimpboil1.jpg

shjrimpboil2.jpg

It was all then dumped unceramoniously into the middle of Kathy's Mom's dining room table.

shjrimpboildumped2.jpg

shjrimpboildumped3.jpg

I had brought a bottle of my Muscadine Currant, a bottle of Jobes Blackberry Port and a bottle of Wiedekers Muscat to enjoy with the meal.

shjrimpboilandwines.jpg

As fate would have it, not a wine opener was to be found and the Muscat had a screw top so it turned out to be the wine we had with the boil. It was actually a nice pairing, the spiciness of the Muscat really enhanced the flavors of the shrimp boil.

shjrimpboilandwines2.jpg

shjrimpboileating.jpg

All that was left remaining was:

shjrimpboilover.jpg

Waldo, no corkscrew! You dont carry one on your keychain!
smiley36.gif

That looks really good. We had Porter Houses on the grill along with
corn on the cob on the grill as I am taking the kids to the Bronx Zoo
today so we to celebrated on Sunday.

Uh, Waldo... I don't want to embarrass you here on the forum, but my invitation never showed up in the mail.
smiley19.gif
Did you not put the correct new postage on it? If I'd gotten an invitation, I sure would have been there...
smiley2.gif

When you have no corkscrew, just take something like a pen, push the cork down into the bottle and poura little into a glass until the cork is out of the way for free flowing wine!

WOW...that looks awesome.....There sure wasn't anything left over was there???
I thought a meal like that you usually eat outside....but with a plastic tablecloth [I hope] you can contain the debris on the table indoors.

PwP I was so disappointed you were a "no-show" as I had sent your invitation expedited mail but alas it seems I applied no postage to the envelope and they would not deliver without it. Will you find it in your heart to forgive me?
Perhaps I could host a similiar event to a road trip bunch on their way to Texas for Winestock.
smiley4.gif

I just noticed I had left out the Polish sausages from my ingrediants list too. They sure enhance the flavors and make them shrimps a lot easier to peel too.Edited by: Waldo

I'm sitting here trying to type but the slobber keeps gumming up the keyboard and making the keys slippery. I'm definitely going to have to try to do one of those myself later this summer. Didn't anybody have a screwdriver in the house. It's hard to remove the cork, but remember the little platic bag trick to get it out after? In a pinch, just ram the cork in the bottle with the screwdriver- reguar type works better than philips head.

I'm always concerned about the neck breaking trying something like that.Guess if it did I could still filter the wine through a coffee filter and get the glass out.

When I was in Oklahoma last year after Winestock, we were out in the country with no corkscrew so one of the cousins there used a screwdriver to push the cork in and broke the neck.....cutting himself...bad. He is on bloodthinners and it was hours before we got it stopped. From now on....a cork screw in the glove compartment.

That was unfair teasing us like that...I had to work all weekend myself but i think I could have made it there and back before 11 pm...
smiley2.gif

Let me know when you are coming to Wisconsin Ill buy the fixins if you do the cookin!
smiley20.gif

chevyguy65 said:
That was unfair teasing us like that...I had to work all weekend myself but i think I could have made it there and back before 11 pm...
smiley2.gif

Let me know when you are coming to Wisconsin Ill buy the fixins if you do the cookin!
smiley20.gif
If I bring the wine and beer can I come home and crash the party?
smiley9.gif

smiley3.gif
wow very nice in deed, mayI ask what was in the straining bags? spices? it all looks so wonderful but I must admit.... we need to have a memorial day here in canada so that You can come up here and do the same thing for meeeeeeeeeee
smiley2.gif

Scotty! Did you sneak into the vault to view all the Princess's tiaras?
smiley2.gif
Good thing I just had the little ones in there...

Latest posts

Back