Mosti Mondiale Meglioli's

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TankCa

Reaction score
I'm interested in hearing how last year (and the year before) Megiloli kits are coming along and if you are planning to do more this year.

Last year I did the Barolo, Rojo Grande and Rojo Intenso. Too early to tell if worth the extra $$ and I'm really debating whether to do more this year.

I have a CC Red Mountian Cab and RJSRQ Okanagan Valley Red Meritage on order from Georgeand trying to decideif another Meg is in my future. If I do it will probably be the Cabernet Sauvignon del Veneto.

Tank -

Like you I have no idea if the extra money was worth it for last year's Sangiovese Toscano. I'm thinking of doing the Barolo or the Cab Sauv this year.

Next year I will know if last years was worth it.

Jim

Edited by: Jim M

I purchased the Meglioli Rojo Grande last year and am purchasing the Meglioli Barolo this year. Because I live near George's shop, I have had several opportunities to sample various Meglioli's and they are worth it to me. I'm also buying the RJ Spagnols Barbaresco and the CC Mencia.

Last year I made the Meglioli Barolo and Rojo Intenso. Still bulk aging and too early to tell but I am ordering the Amarone this year. I'm planning on giving these atleast 2 years to age.

I'm also ordering the CC Mencia, WE Alsatian Riesling and RSJ Argentinean trio.

I have now tried half of them and they are the best wines I have made. We opened the Cab from March on Saturday for tasting. You should have seen the eyes open up. Next October, all of them from this year will be over 18 months old, so we will have a limited release party. That will tell the tale.

I did a Meglioli Riesling in February 2008, and it's the best I've made so far. I liked it so much I ordered another Riesling as well as the Merlot for 2009. At 9 months it's already almost as good asa 23L AllJuice that's about 1.5 years old, so it should be really, reallygood in another 6 months. (I'm trying to wait at leasta year before enjoying any of my wines, regardless of kit size or quality, because they all seem to open up around then with the bigger ones just getting even better.) I like the less expensivekits, too, but the Meglioli's are now my "special" wines!

Feeling a little blue with Santa Claus and assembling toys now behind me (19 yr. old and 16 yr. old daugthers), I turned to two batches of wine late Christmas Eve to address my need to assemble something. I racked a CC Rosso Fortissimo LE and Meglioli Rojo Grande off of the finings and added oak to each. I snuck a taste of each. The Super Tuscan is true to character, with notable Sangiovese flavors. But the Meglioli Rojo Grande was out of this world at only six weeks old (I started the kit on November 12, 2008). I just thought I'd update this post to give Meglioli's two major thumbs up.

You get really blue again dfw you just assemble me up a case or two of your fine wines and ship em on up here. I would not make this offer to just anyone but I kinda like you so for you I would allow myself to be your blues man
smiley4.gif

last night I opened my first Meglioli Amarone that I made earlier this year. It's only 9 mo. but very, very nice. Needs a little more time. Today I racked my mosti Vinifera </span>Gewürztraminer. This will be a good one as well.

Tank, I have leaned toward the MM kits and CC kits exclusively. I have the CC Red Mountain Cab in the fermenter now.

I have made the del Veneto and is still too young to drink. (about 9 months in the bottle) But I am looking forward to drinking this one!
smiley4.gif

Sure glad most people who have made Megliolikitslike them ..... I just recently pre-ordered an Amarone Mondiale and sure would have been disapponted had I heard otherwise!

- GL63

Uavwmn,
The CC Red Mtn Cab is a really good one. I'll be interested to hear how the del Veneto tastes after it's aged. I keep thinking Cab kits need the skins. I've was disappointed withthe WE estate Woodbridge cab I made. I put the del Veneto on my wish list though based on the Rojo Intenso I have.

Grant, Ialso have the Meglioli Amarone on order. I made the MM AJ Amarone last year and it is excellent, so I'm really looking forward to the Meglioli.

On a related Meglioli topic:

When I do get my Amarone kit in January, what type of wine should I top it off with between rackings - some $50 - $75 a bottle commercial Amarone? Or, should I not top it off at all and dilute the precious (and expensive)Amarone juice? I'm curious what one would typically do when making the high-end kits with regards to the 'topping-off' question.

- GL63

I typically rack to a 5 gallon carboy and as many 1500 ml or 1/2 gallon jugs as needed. In subsequent rackings I use the smaller bottles to top up the 5 gal. carboy.

As I get my stock built up I will top with a previous vintage of the same wine, or one very much like it.

That makes good sense when making an expensive kit - I will follow your exact same protocol Peter Z ..... Thanks!
- GL63

The fact that you were even thinking of using a $75 bottle to top up with makes me want to move closer to you!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back