Mosti Mondiale Meglioli Tweak Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TankCa

Reaction score
I'm considering buying a Meglioli Cabernet Sauvignon del Veneto to hold until fall when I do a couple batches of Cab and Merlot from fresh fruit and use some of the pressings (maybe 5 lbs. or so) to add to the kit. I'll be using high quality fruit from Napa and thinking I might be able to make a good kit even better.

I've heard others talk about adding grape skins from pressed fresh fruit to kits that don't have grape packs or raisins to increase solids which add depth and character. It makes sense and of the 10 or so kits I've done only one did not have a grape pack or raisins. That one was a WE LOVZ and not nearly as good as those with grape packs.

Myquestions -

1. <LI>Is thisa wise thing to do on a high end kit such as the Meglioli? </LI>
    <LI>I'm thinking there would be enough yeast available in the pressingsthat I would not need to add the the kit yeast. Is that a correct assumption? I'll be using Red Pastuer or similar.</LI>

I've done 3 Meglioli's this year and all had raisin packsbut the the Cab does not for some reason.

I'm I thinking too muchand should just stick with the directions?
Thanks,
Steve

I would not do this to an already exceptional kit like this. This is something I would do to a low or midrange kit to make it better or even awesome but the Meglioli's are supreme already and you will most likely lose quality of this kit. That kit is a very high quality all juice kit and the only thing I would even think of adjusting on 1 of these is less or more oak depending on your preference. I like the oak monster so I typically add a tad more oak then what most kits come with. if I were you I would buy a MM VN kit and do it since they seem to get good reviews as is and tweak that.</font></font>

So if you were adding raisins to a VN kit, what kind would you use? The regular old Sun Maid dark raisins for reds and white raisins for the whites?

Thanks for the honest feedback. Why is it many of the Meglioli's contain a raisin pack but the Cab does not? This year I've done the Rojo Intensio, Rojo Grande and Barolo and all had raisins.

Like I said in the original post, all but one kit I've done have either had raisins or grape packs like the creshendoand all have been superior to the only one that did not and it was a higher end kit.

Thanks again.

Steve

I would say that the few that have the packs either give them a flavor profile closer to what would be expected of that varietal or just to up the abv closer to where that varietal would be.

I'm glad you asked this question because I was wondering about it. I've preferred kits with grape packs much more than even high end ones without and have added Zante Currants to reds and golden raisins to whites. I did two of the Meglioli's that came with raisins too and was wondering why a big wine like a Cab did not. But finally I decided if they included it with some there must be some reason they did not with the Cab. I'm kinda debating if I'd prefer the Meglioli Cab or the new WE Sonoma Crushendo Cab.

Edited by: Jackie

Wade,

Which of the Meglioli's have you made?

I'm excited moving into my new house so I can finally get back to making the backlog of kits that I have stacked up.

- JimEdited by: JimCook

Jim, I have notmade any but have tried a few bottles from others who have mde them and they were awesome. I tried the Barolo and 2 others that dont seem to be offered this year as like any other special editions they dont always offer them again.

Latest posts

Back