Mead clearing very quickly after adding apple juic

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brushwood24

Reaction score
I made 6 gallons of mead and split it between two 3 gallon carboys. I
added about half a gallon of apple cider to one and in a day it got
REALLY clear and the other one is still as cloudy as ever. The
ingredients for the apple cider just says "Apple Juice" and it also says
"No preservatives or sweeteners." Is there some property of the juice
that would cause the mead to clear like that or could it be that there
is something in the cider that they are not required to list in the
ingredients? Here's a picture:

20100522_115819_DSCF0251.JPG

Wow that is amazing and I would not even guess as to why the one is clearing so quickly. They've got to list all the ingredients even if they hide behind "natural or artificial" flavors.

There are positive and negative ions in most juices and usually one is predominant making it harder to clear, The apple juice you added most likely had the opposite of what was predominant in your wine already and opposites attract thus making them too heavy to be suspended anymore making it fall out.

I am not trying to be picky but which did you use? Juice or cider. Cider is the unfiltered, cloudy product you find for sale near apple orchards in the fall. (Usually). The stuff that tastes like "the real thing"!
Juice is the pasteurized, filtered, clear drink sold in stores.
I am asking because my mead is also not clearing.

barryjo said:
I am not trying to be picky but which did you use? Juice or cider. Cider is the unfiltered, cloudy product you find for sale near apple orchards in the fall. (Usually). The stuff that tastes like "the real thing"!

It was labeled as apple cider but the ingredients said apple juice and it was not cloudy.

barryjo said:

When it comes to clearing so many things can help or hinder the out come that is sometimes hard to pin point 1 thing. The amount of gas in the wine and temps play as key a role as the type of juice used. We can start to help if you could post a recipe and please include the dates.

With what vcasey said Im sure you stirred the apple cider in good and that may have degassed that batch more letting it clear faster also.

Latest posts

Back