Mash Tun

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gaudet

Reaction score
Looking to build a mash tun from a cooler than can handle 10 gallon brew days. What size cooler should I get? Wally world has a really good price on this coleman.... but is it big enough? or too big?
<a href="http://%20www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-70-Quart-Xtreme-Cooler/4807332" target="_blank">
</a>DEAD LINK REMOVED

That link doesnt work but that is a good size and many use that exact coolerfor that size batch.

I will probably start building my set up in the next few months. I need to get cracking on the boil pot from a keg. I have two, but am leery about using the second on for a mash tun as it won't retain the heat as well as these coolers do, at least not without help.............. We'll see though

I have both a cooler and a keg as mash tuns. I use a 10 gallon round Rubbermaid cooler with a stainless steel false bottom to mash in when I am brewing at a friends house and it holds heat very well at all times of the year. On my three tier system I use converted kegs for every thing. The mash tun has a stainless steel false bottom. During the summer months in Texas I do not worry about the temperature loss in the keg, but during the "winter" months in Texas I throw a moving blanket around the keg and have to apply heat to the keg about half way through the mash to maintain my mash temperature. I usually get 75%+ efficiency in both. The largest 10 gallon batch of beer i can make in the cooler is a starting gravity of around 1.070. that is 26 pounds of grain with a 1.08qt/1 lb of grain mash in ratio. I design my beer recipes for 11 gallon batches with 10.5 gallons going into fermenters and 5 into each keg.

gaudet said:
I will probably start building my set up in the next few months. I need to get cracking on the boil pot from a keg. I have two, but am leery about using the second on for a mash tun as it won't retain the heat as well as these coolers do, at least not without help.............. We'll see though

use the stick on insulation from home depot etc

Latest posts

Back