Marquette

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I think everything is going good. The plants really took off, they are looking healthy. Didn't plan on doing my wire this year, so I had to put up string. Having alot of fun.

006.jpg

535.jpg

5 feet will work, but when using top wire training I perefer 6 feet because the wires always sag a bit. Extensions are the source of a weak point, so it is a tossup. What do others have to say?

I know this post is old but I have to throw an Idea out there that grapeman convinced me of on another thread.
instead of an extension on the post how about a 4 foot "T" bar across the top and run a geneva double curtain. I can not prove it yet but Grapeman has the numbers to prove a much higher yield with Marquette vines on the double curtain.

GDC.jpg

I may have to do some research on this. I am still in the beginning stages so I am not committed yet. I was just so surprised that how well they are growing for only planting them in early spring.

I don't know the growth differences, but I have 3 muscadines. I used the 4 arm Kniffen trellis. (I hope I spelled that right.) Mine are growing like weeds and my oldest looks like it has a pretty good crop on it. It is 3 years old. I'll post a couple pics later today to let you see what I'm talking about.

I notice some spots on my leaves. Looked them up and looks like black rot. I only have a couple here and there and not all plants. Should I start spraying right away? We have had a lot of rain this year, not sure if that is the problem. What do you guys recommend me doing?

You got the infection a long time ago so spraying now is of limited value. You need to begin early in the growing season and keep up spraying. Use a spray listed for black rot in your state. Some examples are Captan and all mancozeb products.

I don't see many leaves with the spots, but I am worried. Started spraying, but I am also feel it is a waste of time this late in the seasons. We had alot of rain this year. My vines grew like crazey. I will start spraying early next year.

I am getting ready to do my trellis. From your posts makes me want to do a modified gdc system. I have searched and can not seem to find any info on it. Could you tell me the height and spacing on your wires? Thanks

Harley I will try to answer this soon. Today is a bad day for the stomach , etc from the chemo. You can't find info on it anywhere else because it is my own creation. I will try to answer in a few days as I get feeling better(chemo last Wed and Thurs).

Thanks, I am in no rush, you just get your self feeling better.. My wife has been an oncology nurse for 20 years. I understand.

Latest posts

Back