Malolactic fermentation

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nono

Junior
Reaction score
Ok. So I started malolactic fermentation when sg. 1.002 .racked out of primary into carboy added malo culture and put under airlock. It looks like it is done with primary fermentation. No air bubbles in airlock. Lots of tiny bubbles from malo though. The question I have is... do I just let it sit on all those gross lees till malo done or do I rack now??

No, once it has started you can rack off the gross lees when they have compacted nicely as usual. The MLB should have multiplied enough to keep it going no matter what mqay be lying in the gross lees.

You should always rack sediment before starting MLF. I would have waited until the SG was under 1.000.

After dry stage is accomplished, let the wine sit 24 hours or so, rack sediment, then MLF. Gross lees can present problems.

No, you can but you don't necessarily have to. You can co-inoculate when you get down close to 1.000. The lees act like an MLB nutrient and there is little sugar left for the MLB to be interested in munching on instead of Malic. There all several detailed studies put out by the makers of MLB on the advantages of co-inoculation. Its actually easier to get MLB going with gross lees than without.

Gross lees can present H2S problems. I've seen SO many posts about problems that present themselves down the road that don't make any sense. THEN thru investigation we find out there was an MLF on gross lees and H2S levels that were undetected by smell, but presented with mercaptans. I just find it very risky--many highly experienced winemakers including commercial wineries always rack gross lees off first--just to avoid any problem. A good MLB and nutrient management along with correct environment is all that's needed to get an MLF to go to completion.

Back