Malo in barrel

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklausjames

Reaction score
Can anyone help me out with this problem? I have a 15 gal barrel that has been used twice. First I put a cab in the fresh barrel for a couple months. Now I have a Merlot in it. The Merlot has been in about 8 months and is getting really oaky. I would have already taken it out but don't want to ruin the barrel while I wait to make the next batch. I just purchased some cab/Grenache grapes and plan on making that. However with malo it will take about a month until I can put it in the barrel. I really want to get this merlot out as it should have been out a month ago. I was thinking of doing the malo in the barrel but realized I don't have a way of keeping the temp over 60 in the barrel.

Anyone have any ideas? I bought the sulfur you burn for the barrel but the medal holder for it does not fit in my bung hole.

Where is the Cab? If it hasn't been bottled yet, taste it. The oak could have fallen back enough for you to run it back through for a couple of months in order to buy you time to finish MLF.

Where is the Cab? If it hasn't been bottled yet, taste it. The oak could have fallen back enough for you to run it back through for a couple of months in order to buy you time to finish MLF.

Exactly what I was thinking.

Thx but it was already bottled. I was thinking of just leaving it as is until the new cab is ready for the barrel. Than I'll leave the merlot in a demijohn and hope some of the oak taste leaves. Is there anything that can be done when a wine is over Oaked?

Back