Making your own F-Pack

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

montyfox

Reaction score
Ok... Please be patient with me as my learning curve is still on a steep incline. I've read several posts that refer to making your own F-pack. I've searched the sight as well as others and can't find any postings on how to do this. I think this would be a great addition to the fruit wines that I'm getting ready to make. Any tips you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Monty

I just take about 2 quarts of fruit juice (typically of the same flavor) and add reduce this on a stove top in a pot on medium heat with NO LID till its about 1/3rd its original size and let cool, sometimes I even add sugar to this while its cooking.

Thanks. I didn't realize that this was the same method that you explained earlier in another post on ABV and backsweetening. My next question was going to be about using concentrate since that is basically what you are doing by boiling the water out, but I got my answer in your previous post.

Thanks for the help.Sometimes I think the hardest part about getting into this hobby is learning the language.

Monty

The answer was that you could use juice concentrate as it has most of the water removed from it and that is what you are doing by boiling your juice solution on the stove. However, it was stated that you want to taste frequently so that you don't add too much concentrate.

Here is the link to the topic.

http://www.finevinewines.com//Wiz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=6642

I hope this helps.

Monty

its been my experience when making f pacs to either use the raw fruit puree or semi cook fruit ( mashed) let cool and add directly into the finished wine ,this allows for the maturation of the wine and fruit or extract to fuse,allow at least 1 week to fully maturate,this time will allow all the flavor of what ever your using to migrate back into the finish,keep in mind if the fruit your using isn,t ripe don,t use it ......you won,t gain anything by it,,using fresh juices and especially extracts can enhance any wine and has been do so for decades ,,think out side the traditional box and have fun..................................................

Latest posts

Back