Making Pinot Grigio and want to know about adding oak chips.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

murphyaii

wannabe pro winemaker
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm on my third ever batch of home winemaking kits.
I must say i love my new hobby so addictive.
First batch of pinot grigio got ruined because of a leaky tap on the primary bucket once fermentation finished and the second was a peach chablis desert wine which i thought was a standard wine but finished but very sweet.
Anyway, just started a 5 gallon primary bucket of magnums pinot grigio and want to know should i add american oak chips to the bucket or half and i only got a sachet online?
I've also tartaric acid, should i add that also even though fermenting has started?
sg 1.085, water used supermarket mineral water and spring water.
:ft

I would let fermentation complete before you add your acid.

To me, pinot grigio is best as a light, crisp, and clean wine. I would not dream of adding oak to it (but that's me).

oak chips with pinot

i heard though that american oak chips blend well with pinot grigio

murphyall:

1) You would have to pay me to make a Pinot Grigio with oak in it. Check some of the commercial PGs. I doubt any are oaked. When I ran a store making wine for people I would have seriously balked at adding oak to a PG.

2) "Magnums Pinot Grigio" appears to be a kit. Not available in NorthAm, so I'm not familiar with it. However, the kits that I do know do not need acid adjustments. I guess you could check the acid once the wine has fermented, but I am still dubious about it.

3) I note you are in Ireland. Presumably that means 5 Imperial gallons, or 23 litres, or 6 US gallons. When reading this mostly American site, be aware that most recommendations will be based on the US gallon. (One good reason for everybody talking in litres, but I know it ain't gonna happen.)

Steve

Thanks steve.
will hold back then on the oak
i do know about the metric difference as well
we have it right.
you have it wrong.haha:br

I am not a big white wine drinker but I did make a WE Pinot Gris kit by request. I didn't oak it but I did add a dose of Tannin Riche Extra to it about 2 months before bottling. I don't know what it would have tasted like without it but I definitely like it with it.

Wouldn't that be nice if the U.S. Could switch to the metric system! Would make life much simpler.

It was my recollection that mineral water is not good for making wine....but it's actually distilled that you can't use.

And I would not add oak to a pinot grigio.

Heather

Last edited:
it's mineral water mixed with spring water

i see those gorgeous yeast going crazy inside the must as i type.

sorry steve thought you were american.

No the Americans have it wrong.
Steve

Wouldn't that be nice if the U.S. Could switch to the metric system! Would make life much simpler.

Hey, How could we have it wrong? Our measurements system is based on the British Imperial system (as a Former British colony it only makes sense). The metric system came out of the French revolution and Napoleon himself ridiculed it.

Still, we did give it a try back in the 70's, but changing your system of measurements was a lot easier in the 18th century than it is today. It simply did not take.

Last edited:
Hey,, the Metric foot is still in the door.... We continue to use the 750 ML bottle don't we!!

Hey,, the Metric foot is still in the door.... We continue to use the 750 ML bottle don't we!!

Sure, I can see it all now... Having to purchase gas by the liter, which means that they lower the unit of measure, but raise the price in hopes that no-one will notice.

This is just like my local grocery store. I notice that, sugar, for example is now sold in 4 pound bags, a drop of 20%. I also notice that the price has only dropped 10%.

One of my first white wines I made was a Mosti Mondial Pinot Grigio and it came with a couple ounces of either light toast or untoasted oak (french or hungarian) It turned out great and you really couldn't taste the oak at all. Using the right toast and right amount would be the key.

One of my first white wines I made was a Mosti Mondial Pinot Grigio and it came with a couple ounces of either light toast or untoasted oak (french or hungarian) It turned out great and you really couldn't taste the oak at all. Using the right toast and right amount would be the key.

not to mention the timing! Keep checking the taste

still 50\50 whether or not to add the american oak chips.
as i want to do a batch of wine perfect for a change:r

I would not do American Oak. I think it would overpower the wine in no time flat. Your trying to find something that will crisp the wine and not overpower the floral notes by any means. I looked at my notes and the PG Kit I did came with 1oz (30gm) of an untoasted or very lightly toasted oak.

Latest posts

Back