WineXpert Maintaining Fermentation Temp in cool environment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey WAG, when you use the brew belt around the carboy do you put it directly on the glass or put a cloth in between?

I've got a kit going that still has some fermentation to do (SG 1.05 when I racked to carboy), so I put the brew belt on with cloths wrapped around it. Not sure if it will make enough of a difference (I live in Calgary, Alberta, and the temp in our basement is about 55○F right now).

Last edited:
Hey Shep. I put my belt straight on the carboy. Never had any trouble in 2 yrs.

K, thanks. The brew belt is very necessary; I left it off for a day and fermentation slowed right down.

SG was 1.000 just before racking to carboy for secondary fermentation. Temp is at 68 degrees for past 3 days and holding steady. I have the space heater set for 68 and have two blankets covering carboy. The airlock is still percolating ever so slightly so I think I'm good. Directions said not to expect to see much action during secondary.

Bob, not sure if it matters to you or not, but I bet the brew belt is much more efficient than the space heater, both for the wine and your electrical bill!

Latest posts

Back