Lychee wine, is this normal?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlTropical

Reaction score
It has been 7 days since the lychee wine was started in the primary. It started out at 1.0975 and is now down to 1.04. I tasted it when I checked SG last night and it is still sweet but the alcohol tastes higher than what it should be? Maybe its normal for it to have that sharp taste at this stage.

Should Coat Des Blanc take 7 days to get to 1.04?
What is the alchohol percentage from 1.0975 to 1.04?
Should it taste sharp or alcoholic now?

Ok one more: Is having some pulp floating in the sample vessel going to affect the SG reading much?

Thanks all.

Last edited:
With that change in SG you already have about 8% alcohol. When this ferments to dry you will have about 14% alcohol.

With yeast, there are a lot of factors that contribute to how fast the fermentation goes.

Temperature - there are preferred ranges, but if it's a little cool, say in the 60s, fermentation might go slower than if it were 75 degrees. I don't think you have anything unusual or wrong yet.

You could probably taste the alcohol, but the sharpness might also come from some acidity, which is ok as well, as long as it's not too high. Did you check the acid %?

Are you smelling any sulfur like smell coming from it?

Give it a few more days and keep watching the SG, if it continues going down, it's probably ok.

It is still 72-74 degrees were the primary fermenter is. I got the Ph down from 6+- down to about 3 using the prescribed acid blend. If I ended up too acidic can I smooth that sharpness at all?

No sulfur smell, just smells like bread rising (sort of) and plenty of co2 off gassing when i stir (sounds like rice crispies).

I really appreciate the feedback, don't want to mess this up terribly.

With that change in SG you already have about 8% alcohol. When this ferments to dry you will have about 14% alcohol.

With yeast, there are a lot of factors that contribute to how fast the fermentation goes.

Temperature - there are preferred ranges, but if it's a little cool, say in the 60s, fermentation might go slower than if it were 75 degrees. I don't think you have anything unusual or wrong yet.

You could probably taste the alcohol, but the sharpness might also come from some acidity, which is ok as well, as long as it's not too high. Did you check the acid %?

Are you smelling any sulfur like smell coming from it?

Give it a few more days and keep watching the SG, if it continues going down, it's probably ok.

You can adjust the acid later if you need to. Sounds like everything is going fine though. It will also smooth out some as it ages as well. And if you plan to backsweeten, that will smooth it out as well.

You can adjust the acid later if you need to. Sounds like everything is going fine though. It will also smooth out some as it ages as well. And if you plan to backsweeten, that will smooth it out as well.

Thanks, My wife is awesome and tolerating me taking up space in an already cramped area so I want to make it worth it and not make vinegar :)

Talking to my father in law, he mentioned that suspended solids in the must will cause the SG to read higher than it is. Truth or myth? I am just wondering since I have a lot of suspended fruit in the must.

Back